How to get car ready ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:44 pm
It is too cold for me to paint my car now. I do not have heat in my garage where I want to paint it. It will be next spring before I can do it but I would like to have it ready when the weather gets warm enough. I do have some heat but can not heat enough to paint the whole car. I have a 72 Chevelle that is painted in lacquer and I want to have it ready when the weather is warm enough. It will have to be stripped to the metal or so I have been told . I want to work on it this winter and have it ready when the warmer weather gets here again. I am thinking I could shoot epoxy primer on panels as I strip them and then shoot 2k primer on that and just wait until I am ready to paint this spring to sand the primer. Would that work ? Any ideas you can give me would be of great help since I am just trying to learn about the new products you guys use these days. I painted some years ago and have done a couple bc cc jobs but just not sure about doing parts of the car and waiting months before I paint it. Thanks for any ideas about doing it like this.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:39 am
Sounds like a good plan to me. And definitely strip it, that lacquer will cause problems down the line if you don't. Sounds like a great car, have at it! :goodjob:

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 am
Most epoxy primers wont cure under 60 degrees.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:33 pm
msteckhan wrote:Most epoxy primers wont cure under 60 degrees.

Good point.

You could always strip some panels and keep 'em in the house like I did...lol

Your wife will love you for it :)

Return to Body and Paint