Painting Stainless Steel

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:35 pm
I have a jeep cj8 that I'm rebuilding. I have been able to find stainless steel (black powder coated) hinges, hood hold downs, etc. Only thing they don't make black powder coated is the license plate bracket, it's plain stainless steel. How do I paint stainless steel without it peeling. Can I sand, metal prep (Ospho), epoxy primer and paint. Will it hold up. Thanks.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:59 am
Skip the metal wash, just put good tooth into it (80 grit) and epoxy prime it. Also the black Tamco primer I sell here would do it, if you happen to need a gallon:

http://www.autobody101.com/store/paint- ... -full-kit/

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm
Chris, How good is the tamco primer if used on metal that had rust, grounded off with just pits after metal prep wash. How is it different from Kirker epoxy primer. On the data sheet it states not to reapply after one hour. Can it be applied after sanding (if used as a high build primer). How does it hold up over time? Thanks Vernon.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:22 pm
Vernon, I'll tell you what I know:

- Don't use metal wash, it is more trouble than it's worth. Any residual even a tiny amount that can get into the metal pores, can cause issues later.

- I have not used the Tamco black primer (the direct-to-rust) so I can't personally vouch for how well it works on metal that might have some rust or pitting. I've used a lot of the Tamco grey (direct to metal) primer, and it is hands-down the best primer I've ever used. Based on what I know about Tamco and what I've heard from the many people who have purchased both these primers, nobody has been disappointed by either version.

- I have not idea how these primers compare to Kirker epoxy. Epoxy is also a DTM (direct to metal) primer and is a very good product, so I'm going to guess Kirker makes a pretty good epoxy. Tamco also makes epoxy which I will be adding to the store here as soon as I catch a breather and can work on it. Epoxies are usually pretty tough to sand and not really used for build or getting panels flat.

- Regarding how Tamco primers hold up over time I will tell you we have had zero shrink with this primer and no dieback. It sands very easily. This primer has been around for a long time and has a fantastic track record.

I'm not a betting man but if I were I would bet you'd like it. I have not met anyone who has not been happy with it.

Return to Body and Paint