engine painting question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:59 am
I want to use the same paint im painting my car to paint my engine. Is there a way to paint it without having to ruff surface so paint will stick. Looks like it would be a hard job to get all areas ruffed up.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:48 am
Won't work. Engines need a high temperature paint. You could paint the engine block a neutral colour (like black) and then do the engine cover in the same paint as the body.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:35 am
I have engine high temp yellow but its lighter then what im painting car can I spray my cars yellow over that high temp yellow and then clear. Would I have to ruff surface

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:37 am
Engine has been painted for 2 months with th is high temp yellow

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:51 am
NFT5 wrote:Won't work. Engines need a high temperature paint. You could paint the engine block a neutral colour (like black) and then do the engine cover in the same paint as the body.

We've painted engines with single stage urethane and have had no issues. You refer to single stage as 2K. 2K here means 2 component...paint and catalyst/hardener.n

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:35 pm
I painted my engine with 2K polyurethane without primer with no real issues 8 yrs ago. Block was iron, valve cover was aluminum.

Some paint has peeled on the block but I think that was prep issues. I sand blasted the cover with fine crushed glass and it is holding up well.

Next time I will use epoxy primer under both for better performance.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:57 pm
I have heard you aren't supposed to prime an engine before paint, any truth to that?

I know GM cars of the early 70's were just straight paint no primer on the engine

Seen many engines with urethane on them also, so I don't think you need special high temp paint

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 am
NOVAFREEK6872 wrote:I know GM cars of the early 70's were just straight paint no primer on the engine

I spent a couple of years on the assembly line at Ford in the 1960's, so believe me when I say, they were only worried about the cars making it through the warranty period. Its true they didn't use primer on the engines, the interiors didn't have primer on the painted metal surfaces either, also the engine compartment black and earlier model frames and suspensions.

Just think about how much money was saved there, when you consider how many cars they were turning out each day. So in this case, I wouldn't try to do it the way the factory did.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:34 am
just use a sealer coat then your top coat and you'll be just fine
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 am
You can spray epoxy primer first as it is heat resistant and somewhat flexible.
The key to successful engine painting though is getting it truly clean and free from grease and oil that is down in the pours of the casting.
Baking the block is best however using a stiff scrub brush and a strong detergent can help. Be sure to rinse it well and apply automotive Wax and Grease Remover and blow dry with compressed air.
You may get some discoloration around the exhaust ports due to the high heat in those areas but that varies from car to car.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint