Orange peel in color coat prior to clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:19 pm
I am attempting to paint and customize a schwinn beach cruiser. I sanded all old paint down until it was smoothed out. I then primed. The paint and clear coat are from spray cans(rustoleum). After spraying the color i notice tons of orange peel on entire frame. There are a couple things that i have questions for.
1) do i sand the color to getout the orange peel?
2) do i then polish the color to get the shine or attempt another coat of color?
3) after clear is put on it should be wet sanded with 1500-2000 grit?
4) then polish and its now complete?

I have watched many tutorials but i am still lost. Thank you all ok n advance

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:16 pm
Anytime you are spraying color over primer you want to start off with real light coats , sounds like you went to wet. Keep the can a save distance and just spray lightly take your time, put one coat on it and wait, go smoke a cigarette or something then put your second base coat on etc etc.. have fun with it painting is not a race. As for the peel just sand down the peel with 800, or 600 or 1000 doesn't matter just whatever smooths out the peel. Once you are done blow off any dust, wipe it down . Then spray your color like I just told you to do ^

As far as after you clear.. You only really need to wet sand if there is dirt or bad peel in your clear. If you are happy with the peel and cleanliness of your clear coat just polish it for additional shine and be done

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:54 pm
Awesome! Just finished spraying color. Sprayed light first coat and waited 15 min between each coat. Total of 4 coats. Has some very minor orange peel now thats looks like in a day or two it may smooth out. Now i read somewhere that if there is minor orange peel or ripples they canbe buffed out? Gonna give it a few days,before i start the clear. Thanks for the response. Please guide me

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:15 pm
There really shouldn't be any peel in your base coat but at the same time you are using a spray can so it will be hard to lay flat anyways. If the peel in your base really bothers you that much like I said you can sand it flat with 800 grit.. Just don't sand your base coat all the way off or you will be spraying your base coat again. If you're ok with how it looks just clear over it.

Don't wait too long to clear coat your base coat. Check the drying times of your base coat but if you wait too long you can have some problems with your clear coat.

Yes you can wet sand and buff peel or dirt out but that's only in your clear coat when it's all done drying.

Return to Body and Paint