Base coat on clear ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:36 pm
If you shot the stripes within 24 hours of shooting the CC, I would think the material would chemically bond. Urethane paint and urethane clear is the same product family, so they should chemically bond well within the recoat window.

If you use 3M fineline tape, it will produce a crisp hard line for your stripes. You can use regular automotive masking tape for your masking paper up to the fine-line tape.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:06 pm
vwbobby wrote:If you shot the stripes within 24 hours of shooting the CC, I would think the material would chemically bond. Urethane paint and urethane clear is the same product family, so they should chemically bond well within the recoat window.

If you use 3M fineline tape, it will produce a crisp hard line for your stripes. You can use regular automotive masking tape for your masking paper up to the fine-line tape.

Might want to read a few TDS sheets by multiple companies and products before providing such information. All products are different and do not fall into your 24 hour recommendations.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:09 pm
Can't he shoot the stripes in white single stage, scuff the ss tape over stripes paint red base then clear all at once? I'm not sure what grit to use to get enough mech adhesion but not show scratches in the clear.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:57 pm
ScottB wrote:For decades I've been shooting single stage over properly prepared BC/CC with no issues for a factory correct stripe appearance, so have others I know in the resto business. Buried stripes are incorrect and points will be deducted for them. I'm old school, I don't like buried stripes unless it's custom work where it is required. If stripes are chipping on the edges then the prep was wrong.

When the stripes are minimally cut and then buffed there will not be very hard tape edge. It's softened by the process and looks fine.

this is how to do what the o/p wants.^^^^ plus a few tips, recheck your tape carefully just before you spray the color . when removing your tape if any little chips come off the tape and get on your finished coat, resist the temptation to wipe them off. use an air hose with low air pressure. at certain drying stages if the chips land paint to paint and you try and wipe them off they will stick together. this is not a nice thing to have happen.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint