Old lacquer trick

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:21 pm
Years ago we would cut a color photo that we liked out of different mags and shoot a good coat of clear lacquer on it. The next day when it has dried you can carefully soak it in warm water and would find the lacquer has drawn all the color off the paper . The paper will separate from the paint and you have a very thin decal of the photo you applied the clear on. It takes practice to transfer it to the surface you want it on without tearing it but it can be done . You have to keep the decal very wet and also the surface you put it on so it will slide off paper and onto the surface where you want it.. The only problem is the surface you transfer it to has to be white ,but it looks great when you get it on. After drying we would shoot more lacquer to seal the decal in the paint. A lot of Play Boy photos ended up on motorcycle tanks, lol.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 pm
I haven't done this in years. my boy works in a shop and thinks he knows everything, he is coming down for the holidays. I think I'll get the lacquer clear out and show him how its done, he'll be surprised. :shocked:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint