epoxy primer as sealer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:42 pm
bigge31566 wrote:I thought you had to put a sealer on before basecoat. Do I even need a sealer if everything is already primered, Im just worried about bare spots on corners after sanding

You do not have to add sealer if everything is primered. You shouldnt be worried about bare spots unless it happens. If it does you could spot sealer in with a gun or even quicker with a spray can(Some will be agaisnt using spray can products but whatever it works for me)

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:18 pm
ScottB wrote:
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Mix 1:1:1 and spray one coat.
If all looks well you can go to paint in about 30 minutes depending on temperature.

That ratio and dry time does not apply to all epoxies.

Novices should read a TDS and not rely solely on forums for info.

You are right, Scott. I answered too quickly.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:23 am
natemoore wrote:
bigge31566 wrote:I want to use epoxy primer as a sealer rite before I shoot the basecoat, what mixture rate and how many layers, and wait time, any info would be helpful, it is in 2k primer now and I am wetsanding to 400 and 600 grit

I thinned down some Eastwood black epoxy primer to use as a sealer. My mistake was thinning it down (experimenting and deviating from a known). Unthinned it would have laid on flat, but thinned down it was very textured. I had to spend a day wet sanding it. But, it did make a good sealer coat under my dark base.

In hindsight, I wonder if I should have used a tinted 2K urethane primer because the epoxy primer was very difficult to wet sand after I mucked it up.

The product data sheet should have the other answers. I'd say one coat is adequate.

it should be the other way around, textured without thinning and flat witht thinning, the thinning should help it lay down nice and smooth,
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:25 am
I starting to get conflicting ideas on which way to go, I always thought that by tinning some thing it made it smoothier

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:49 am
krem wrote:
natemoore wrote:
bigge31566 wrote:I want to use epoxy primer as a sealer rite before I shoot the basecoat, what mixture rate and how many layers, and wait time, any info would be helpful, it is in 2k primer now and I am wetsanding to 400 and 600 grit

I thinned down some Eastwood black epoxy primer to use as a sealer. My mistake was thinning it down (experimenting and deviating from a known). Unthinned it would have laid on flat, but thinned down it was very textured. I had to spend a day wet sanding it. But, it did make a good sealer coat under my dark base.

In hindsight, I wonder if I should have used a tinted 2K urethane primer because the epoxy primer was very difficult to wet sand after I mucked it up.

The product data sheet should have the other answers. I'd say one coat is adequate.

it should be the other way around, textured without thinning and flat witht thinning, the thinning should help it lay down nice and smooth,
krem

Yeah, I know. I don't know why it ended up textured with the thinner. Maybe I put it on to heavily. I'm sure it was user error.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint