What would you do?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:10 pm
Just about done stripping the trunk lid. Will epoxy and surfacer. Want to lay it on its back on a fold out stand and epoxy the inside surface of lid, wait 24 hours and flip it and epoxy outside of lid. Wait 24 and flip it and apply surfacer. Wait 24 and flip it and apply surfacer to other side.

Will this cause a problem if I wait 24 hours before laying it on its primed surface?

Thanks, Kevin

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:18 pm
Unless I'm doing body work, I'd epoxy both sides then spray basecoat, clear it and be done..

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:23 pm
I have just a couple of small spots to fix. All on the outside of lid.

I'm not sure how to paint both sides at same time.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:33 pm
Hang it with chains and hooks?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:39 pm
Ahh well to answer your first question on wether or not the prime surface would be safe to lay on it after 24 hours that depends on tempatures and humitidy my man. Not too mention the type of primer and how wet/ layers you put on it. But I will say on hot days here in Cali I'd prime some cars in the morning and by the end of lunch outside in the sun was already ready to be sanded..

As far are your second question you can really only hang it. Remember you can use any bolt holes on the trunk thread a bolt on it half way wrap some bailing wiring around the bolt and can hang it on a lot of things.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:07 pm
DART67 wrote:Just about done stripping the trunk lid. Will epoxy and surfacer. Want to lay it on its back on a fold out stand and epoxy the inside surface of lid, wait 24 hours and flip it and epoxy outside of lid. Wait 24 and flip it and apply surfacer. Wait 24 and flip it and apply surfacer to other side.

Will this cause a problem if I wait 24 hours before laying it on its primed surface?

Thanks, Kevin

The danger in flipping it over is that the epoxy will not be fully cured even if it "feels" like it is and can be indented or even stick to whatever you are laying it on.
Hanging it is the best option so you can spray the entire thing at the same time.

In your case where repairs on only one side are needed I would spray that side, next day do your repairs and when satisfied then hang it and paint the entire thing. Wait your 24 hours or so depending on temperature and then shoot your 2k primer while its still hanging.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:38 pm
Thanks for the help!

Will hang it up.

Return to Body and Paint