Clear coat for Deltron bc ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:20 am
I will probably use Deltron bc when I paint my car . I have read some clears are hard to sand and buff if I wait too long to do it. I am thinking I could be a few days, not weeks getting it sanded and buffed. Is there a PPG clear that would still be easy to sand and buff after a few days ? I was thinking of going with ********** clear if it would sand and buff easier than the PPG clears. I can not get the ********** bc in the color I need or I would go with them also.. I have a back problem and getting down to do all that sanding in one or two days would be hard for me to do. Thanks for any information you can give me. As far as the newer paints all I have ever used was Nason bc cc on things that I never sanded or buffed out. This time I will be painting my Chevelle and I want to sand and buff it but just don't know about the best clear to use that would not put me in a rush to get sanded and buffed.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 pm
you'll want to be careful some clears buff easy and some don't. the last couple of jobs I've done I used Limco, its a thick bodied clear and never could get it to spray the way I wanted it to. different tips and reducing it a tad helped but it never was great. buffing was ok it stays soft for a long time. I just tried some ********** universal clear for the first time and really like the way it sprays, it lays out nice. shot it at 62 deg. with their mid temp activator. I haven't used a buffer on it yet but I here it buffs good.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:37 pm
I like PPG concept 2021. It's high solids so it's a bit more difficult to spray then a universal clear. Application shouldn't matter much if you plan to cut and buff. It stays soft for a while. I think it buffs pretty easily. Doi is outstanding. Another option is Tamco clear sold here on the site. I've only used their 2021 clear. It lays out very nice but is a little hard to buff. I've heard their universal clear is amazing. Lays out and buffs really well. Good luck.

Squirrel11

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:29 pm
PPG has many different clears in the line. Lets say there higher line of stuff and then theres the more affordable line of stuff. By example it all depends on what your budget is and what its going on and what your expectations are.

Ill say I find PPG (SHOPLINE) brand has some great clears that would go over DELTRON no problem. JC 7200 which is a HS European Clear. Awesome UV protection comes in a 5 liter kit with a 2.5liter hardner. Will run about $220.00 a kit. Awesome sanding capability too.

If you stick with the Deltron side 2021 is a great clear as well, but will run you a lot more . Id say about $400.00 for a kit of 1 gallon 1 quart of hardner.

Theres also the Envirobase EC530 which just came which now being using over WATER base and can be used over Solvant. Great hold out and great UV protection. Sanding and buff is awesome a lot of higher end shops like major manufactuers are using this clear. Awesome shine.

Again I can go on forever. Remember using clears in the same system or manufactuer will help you a lot. It keeps things consistant. PPG has some of the best products out there.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:17 pm
LUGO_BROS_Automotive wrote: If you stick with the Deltron side 2021 is a great clear as well, Again I can go on forever. .

I used 2021 decades ago and as recently as 4 years ago, not to mention many other clears. No mention of 2002 or 4000 for completes? 2021 was not bad in its day but has been surpassed by other clears. Call PPG or talk to a rep. Not all jobbers know their facts. Internet heresay can't be trusted.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:38 am
2021 is still being used by a lot of pro painters today. Of course to each there own. Not saying that 2021 is the say all clear. There is so much out there its almost hard to choose. Yes I agree calling your jobber PPG store would be the best option but hes asking about peoples experience with clears over Deltron and what he should use. Nothing wrong with second opinions.

Of course you haven't heard of EC530 right? Well its an awesome clear that is being tested and proven every day by great companys with great results. This is cutting edge stuff so again its people preference as to what clear might be the best for them. :clap:

ScottB wrote:
LUGO_BROS_Automotive wrote: If you stick with the Deltron side 2021 is a great clear as well, Again I can go on forever. .

I used 2021 decades ago and as recently as 4 years ago, not to mention many other clears. No mention of 2002 or 4000 for completes? 2021 was not bad in its day but has been surpassed by other clears. Call PPG or talk to a rep. Not all jobbers know their facts. Internet heresay can't be trusted.

Return to Body and Paint