Clearcoat and Paint blending

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:24 pm
Hi. I purchased a 10 year old, mostly garage kept silver car recently. I wanted to replace a badly dented door. I'm poor, so I thought I was lucky to find a same year, same color door at an auto dismantler. The door had about two years worth of dirt on it, so I couldn't really see all of the details of the door. I paid $50 to a local body shop to replace the door and all of the door components.

When I was washing the car, I noticed that the texture of the door feels very different, rough, like it has no clear coat. The paint still shines, just a little less luster than the rest of the car. Waxing didn't help. It is very annoying.

Can I just spray on clear coat? I don't have money to get anything done professionally and I'm not skilled enough to attempt a paint job.

When people talk about "blending paint to match", are they also talking about the clear coat? Luckily, I'm happy with the color match.

If you had a dumb, poor brother, what would be your suggestion? Thank you!!!!!

Color is Subaru Platinum Silver Metallic

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:03 am
Since you came here for help, I don't wanna leave ya hangin...we blend the color coats to match or help transition from new to old so any variation is unnoticed. Clear coat is "blended" or melted in in some cases on spot repairs not usually across doors. Sometimes guys will try to match existing clearcoat texture. So no offense to you, I'd suggest tryin to buff/polish ur door if you can come across the tools and supplies. With ur lack of skill Mby try to find a buddy that will help for a case of beer. If not just deal with it givin the age of the vehical.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:11 pm
DeviousDesigns wrote:Since you came here for help, I don't wanna leave ya hangin...we blend the color coats to match or help transition from new to old so any variation is unnoticed. Clear coat is "blended" or melted in in some cases on spot repairs not usually across doors. Sometimes guys will try to match existing clearcoat texture. So no offense to you, I'd suggest tryin to buff/polish ur door if you can come across the tools and supplies. With ur lack of skill Mby try to find a buddy that will help for a case of beer. If not just deal with it givin the age of the vehical.

Thank you DeviousDesigns! I thought about buff/polish, but it really feels like there is no clear coat and the paint feels very thin, like how paint from an old car from the 70's might feel after baking in the sun for a long time. The paranoid part of me is wondering if someone at the shop started to sand and then realize it wasn't supposed to be sanded. I guess I could ask another shop.

So, if I do just the clear coat, I will have disastrous results? Is buffing out disastrous clear coat more risky than buff/polish thin paint? Sorry for these basic questions... Thank you!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:22 pm
Anyway you can post a picture bud?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:54 pm
Yea a couple good pics would help! If u just wanna re-clear the door, it should help if I understand you right. But w/o the right tools and equipment you're not gonna get the results u want! As bad as I hate to say this, you can try one of those rattle can 2k clear coat deals from an actual autobody supply store where u push a button on the bottom and it mixes the hardener to the clear inside the can. If ur still not satisfied, try to polish it after it's cure, atleast it will have and extra layer so u won't burn thru as easy.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:33 pm
F5.jpg
sunlight

F4.jpg
shade

F3.jpg
shade

F2.jpg
garage lighting

F1.jpg
Garage lighting

I just realized you guys might want to see super close ups. Under what lighting should I take those?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:38 pm
The rear door is the one that feels really rough, like it's thin and bare. Thank you all for your help.

F8.jpg
sunlight

F7.jpg
sunlight

F6.jpg
sunlight

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:25 pm
Why dont you buy some rubbing compound from a auto store or Walmart and in a small inconspicuous area rub the compound in with a terry cloth, wipe it clean with a micro fiber and see if you feel/see a difference in the paint.

Almost how you would apply your wax but use some elbow grease

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:28 am
Thanks everyone. As I ask more questions, I'm coming to the realization that I must be actually retarded. I shouldn't even care about the door this much. I'm already content with the color. This door is a vast improvement to the dented up door. Even if I could get the door the way I want, I would still have a 10 year old car with multiple dings, scratches, and horrible touch up work (previous owner). It's just a freaking door on a less than perfect 10 year old commuter. I even took multiple pictures. :rotfl:

But, I will try everyone's suggestions.

1. Buff/Polish
2. Maybe clear coat.

Again, thank you and somebody please delete this thread :happy:

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:30 am
Before you do anything just go and by one of those clay kits. They come with the clay, detail spray and many even have a microfiber towel. IF the grit that you are feeling is surface impediments the clay will remove them. Just spray the door liberally with the detail spray and rub the clay across the surface. After a couple of passes fold the clay up so you have a nice clean surface of clay again. Since it is silver I wouldn't really worry about marring the paint one because it is silver and two if you start rubbing compound on it the marring will be serious. The clay will give you a very smooth surface.

I will say though after looking at the door it almost looks like a repaint. Cars of different years often don't match even from the manufacturer but this looks like the metallics are way off. The factory (front door) seems to have a much more coarse metallic compared to the new door. Still not bad for a replace from the junk yard.
Next

Return to Body and Paint