Honda Mirrors Prep and Paint Nightmares

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:19 pm
Hey guys new here to the forum. Not new to the industry but had a question for all you painters out there ever noticed an adhesion problem when painting over original Honda colors on side view mirrors after prepping. Wrinkle back etc? Im having to strip these mirrors to nothing to get anything out of them stick wise. 2 hours to do 1 mirror im pissed today!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:46 pm
LUGO_BROS_Automotive wrote:Hey guys new here to the forum. Not new to the industry but had a question for all you painters out there ever noticed an adhesion problem when painting over original Honda colors on side view mirrors after prepping. Wrinkle back etc? Im having to strip these mirrors to nothing to get anything out of them stick wise. 2 hours to do 1 mirror im pissed today!

Not familiar with them. Are they chrome or plastic?

I recently painted my Tundra mirrors and all the black rubber trim/molding. The mirrors had chromed plastic inserts. I originally was going to just sand with P80, prime with self-etch, then black epoxy (because the truck had that underneath the base coat), then BC and CC. But I sanded through an edge and the chrome popped up. I peeled it all off and got down to light grey plastic.

Then, I just sprayed with Bulldog adhesion promoter, then black epoxy, etc. Turned out fine.

On the black plastic stuff, just Bulldog, then BC and CC because the plastic was already black. No problems with that either.

What did you use on them?
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:52 pm
Ive noticed that any stock side view plastic mirror you simply prep as usual 320 or 400 grit then apply BC it starts to wrinkle. I know using BULLDOG is the best way to prevent but in the case of this mirror I painted today it seems even after prepping and applying BC over a single stage it would just wrinkle.

I have also noticed just a simple scuff and spray of plastics specifically HONDA vehicles has this problem I just cant figure it out. I finally removed all the old paint using an 80 grit paper and then 180 then 320 then BC. It worked fine.

Ill be posting pics. :allgood:

natemoore wrote:
LUGO_BROS_Automotive wrote:Hey guys new here to the forum. Not new to the industry but had a question for all you painters out there ever noticed an adhesion problem when painting over original Honda colors on side view mirrors after prepping. Wrinkle back etc? Im having to strip these mirrors to nothing to get anything out of them stick wise. 2 hours to do 1 mirror im pissed today!

Not familiar with them. Are they chrome or plastic?

I recently painted my Tundra mirrors and all the black rubber trim/molding. The mirrors had chromed plastic inserts. I originally was going to just sand with P80, prime with self-etch, then black epoxy (because the truck had that underneath the base coat), then BC and CC. But I sanded through an edge and the chrome popped up. I peeled it all off and got down to light grey plastic.

Then, I just sprayed with Bulldog adhesion promoter, then black epoxy, etc. Turned out fine.

On the black plastic stuff, just Bulldog, then BC and CC because the plastic was already black. No problems with that either.

What did you use on them?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:01 pm
Are you sure you're not new to paining :0 sounds like you're spraying too wet your first coat. You should be misting on you're first couple of coats before you do a full wet coat or it will wrinkle/mottle or have a heavy peel appearance. Make sure your gun settings are legit too and not shooting huge volume with no atomization. Check your temps hardener and reducer..

Also you only need adhesion promoter for raw plastics you get from factory/some aftermarket parts.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:37 am
No im not new to painting. Im pretty sure my settings where good. Are you new to paint?

Yes so we are clear first coat is a mist coat. Shooting with an LPH 400 Base gun my air pressure set at 27 psi. Fan pattern set wide open fluid control about half not full open. Temp may have been questionable but had the bake lamp on for a bit. Thinking back it could have been my reducer for how cool it was out yesterday. This was attempted at my house not at the shop.

With my luck lately it hasn't mattered what ive done during prep. Im thinking it maybe the plastic material Honda makes. Im just trying to see if anyone else ever had these issues with Honda mirrors.

Littlevil wrote:Are you sure you're not new to paining :0 sounds like you're spraying too wet your first coat. You should be misting on you're first couple of coats before you do a full wet coat or it will wrinkle/mottle or have a heavy peel appearance. Make sure your gun settings are legit too and not shooting huge volume with no atomization. Check your temps hardener and reducer..

Also you only need adhesion promoter for raw plastics you get from factory/some aftermarket parts.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:52 am
This is a photo of it trying to dry but wrinkle after my second attempt at prepping it.
Attachments
20150125_142149[1].jpg
Wrinkle extreme wrinkle

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:54 am
After my third attempt at prepping using 80 grit to strip it down then 180 then 320 everything worked out nice.
Attachments
20150125_150119[1].jpg
Finally got her to stick

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:58 am
It came out clean after some arm wrestling. Just wanted to put it out there and see what people thought it might be as ive only had this issue on Honda Mirrors.
Attachments
20150125_153125[1].jpg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:48 am
Common problem. I find it worst on Korean vehicles but plenty of others have the same problem.

Only solution is to strip down to bare plastic. Takes a little time but quicker than having to re-do them.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:13 pm
LOL I new I wasn't the only one out there!

Yeah im going to keep this in mind anytime I do these from now on. :happy:

NFT5 wrote:Common problem. I find it worst on Korean vehicles but plenty of others have the same problem.

Only solution is to strip down to bare plastic. Takes a little time but quicker than having to re-do them.
Next

Return to Body and Paint