clear over decal kit???

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:52 am
working on a old trans am that has the hood bird & other decals.paint is fresh catalized base/clear. should I reclear the body so the decals are sealed in & protected?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:15 am
I think that comes down to a couple of things. First, personal preference as the original version was not buried in clear. Second if you decide to do that make sure the decals can tolerate being cleared without reacting.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 pm
Like Chris says, the danger is with a reaction between the clearcoat and the
vinyl Bird. It's too late once you've sprayed and see the decal dissolving.

I've found that a regular coating of wax will protect decals for the lifetime
of the paint. Personally I'd leave it like the factory did.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:51 am
I've had people ask me to do that. Back when I was fixin them from wreck damage. (Insurance work) They usually backed off. When I told them if anything went wrong. They would have to by the next decal and pay me to redo the hood. Plus I would not warranty it.
If anything goes wrong your screwed. I repaired a fender on one called a sunbird. Same bird decal but had painted pin stripes extending the wing tips out onto the fender. When I cleared over the stripes on the fender. They fisheyed like crazy only on the stripes. So much for tryin to save them. Had to redo fender and git somebody to brush them back on. So ask yourself. Are you willing to take the chance? NightTrain is spot on about the wax treatment. Especially with the waxes available today.
Dang got a lil wordy on that.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Return to Body and Paint