Touching Up Stone Chips on an old Duracryl Paint Job

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:55 pm
Got a '60 Triumph TR-3 that was painted about 30 years ago with Duracryl Acrylic Lacquer.
The paint was a non-stock custom color. I have the original 1 pint formulation, which is 311-3, 340-20, 357-35, 358-250, 310-498.
Is this formula of any use now to make up some touch up paint? I'm thinking probably not.
What do I do to get a match? The paint job on the car is about perfect except for the chips.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:12 pm
Do you know what the actual color code is? I can find out if in fact this color can be even made in Duracryl.

Some toners in the Duracryl line are no longer which means they may not even offer it anymore in the Laquer. Im sure an alternative brand paint in the PPG line would also work if you could provide the color code. There are millions of formulas so its very hard to just randomly put that number in.

I have access to a PPG color library which allows me to check formulas by color code.

lute wrote:Got a '60 Triumph TR-3 that was painted about 30 years ago with Duracryl Acrylic Lacquer.
The paint was a non-stock custom color. I have the original 1 pint formulation, which is 311-3, 340-20, 357-35, 358-250, 310-498.
Is this formula of any use now to make up some touch up paint? I'm thinking probably not.
What do I do to get a match? The paint job on the car is about perfect except for the chips.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:35 pm
Thanks for responding. No code; as I remember it was an older Cadillac color, might have been Charcoal Firemist or something similar . Almost black, but not quite.
I have a photocopy of the original label from the can but no code on there. Only the handwritten note about the formula.
If I bring in a piece of painted trim to PPG can they match it?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:47 pm
Yeah im pretty sure they can get you going at a PPG Jobber location by you. Might take some time on an eye match but it might be worth it due to the fact you no longer have a color code. Formulas are great if you have the ingredients and only PPG would know what ingredients. So bring that ingredient list to them as well.

lute wrote:Thanks for responding. No code; as I remember it was an older Cadillac color, might have been Charcoal Firemist or something similar . Almost black, but not quite.
I have a photocopy of the original label from the can but no code on there. Only the handwritten note about the formula.
If I bring in a piece of painted trim to PPG can they match it?

Return to Body and Paint