Crack where factory leaded b pillar/roof

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm
wahoo]
I just want to put the strongest stuff on it that hopefully won't crack. Maybe I would need to put all metal on it thicker to prevent the cracking someone posted about a few posts up?

I youtubed all metal and I feel like it has to be stronger than duraglass.

But I don't have the time and or tools or willpower to remove all the lead in that seam... it has a lot and no why will I be able to tackle it. I want to get this car painted and done by mid april![/quote]
[size=150]The cracking is caused by torsional stress, and putting a 'stronger' filler on it is not the answer. AllMetal has it's uses, but the Duraglass is better in this area, because it's a bit
more flexible. Tanner's number 3 below is the best option, if you have access to the
back. A reinforcement brace will strengthen the area and keep it from twisting and
therefore cracking.[/size]
[quote="tanner wrote:
you have a few options....

1. remove lead, weld crack, refill with duraglas short strand and so on... it will crack again 100%

2. remove lead, weld up seam solid, refill with short strand duraglas... 75% chance it will crack again in the future.

3 remove lead, weld seam solid, reinforce that area with a steel plate/gusset from the backside to help create a more rigid structure, refill with duraglas.
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army
Previous

Return to Body and Paint