reasonable 2 stage paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:25 pm
I have two projects going on now getting ready for paint. A 73 cj5 and a 36 coupe. Here's my question. I've always used a single stage paint. Usually ac. enam. I want to learn a 2 stage on the jeep and be smarter when I do the coupe. The jeep is a frame off job but I didn't put a lot of time on final sanding. If I scratch it in the woods or bend it up that's what I built it for. However I would like to practice my technique on this with a 2 stage paint. I'll buy a higher quality paint for the coupe but I would like a cheaper but good base and clear for the jeep. It will be a solid darker blue paint,,,nothing fancy. What do you suggest at a reasonable price and where to get it. I don't do this for a living it's just a hobby that I love. I painted a 57 belair years ago with a devilbiss jga gun and it did a great job. I do plan on buying a new flg4 hvlp gun.
Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 pm
I have used Wanda which sprayed and covered very well.
The Jeep project I am working on now is being painted in Limco Supreme Plus.
Both of these paints are very reasonable priced.
For clear coat I am using ********** Euro Clear at the moment for my Harley, the Jeep and the 55 truck. It is easy to spray and fairly hard when cured.

I have only used the Tamco (sold on this site) DTM primer so far but I must confess I like more each time I use it. Plan to try their Euro Clear in the future.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:56 pm
Any economy base will work fine. They are all approx the same. They tend to not match real good or cover as well as the upper end paint lines.. But for doing an overall job besides having to do more coats of paint to get good coverage then end result should be basically the same. I have used ppg omni, nason, wanda, sherwin williams dimenision. If I had a preference I would say either Wanda or Nason. Use a high solids clear and do 3 coats to give you plenty of material to sand and buff. Because the spray gun your buying will probably not give you a smooth finish.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:58 am
I just used some euro clear from ********** for he second time really like it sprays real good, there's nothing wrong with the jga.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint