71 AMG mail truck restoration. Not sure where to start.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:10 am
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
We purchased this mail truck a few years ago as a way to expand our business. We had the inside rewired and cleaned up, but it was always our goal to finish or do as much as we could at home, because of our budget. So, my husband started it, but life happens and now he works so much that he hasn't had anytime to put toward it and I know how much it eats away at him. I really want to work on this for him, but I'm just really overwhelmed as to where to start. I'm pretty handy and am good with power tools, but know nothing about what to buy, etc. I know I can do this for him if someone can just offer me some guidance. I've read a lot of the posts in here about the rust and how I should try and replace instead of spraying it with treatment and I can you that is over my head and budget as well as the suggestions that i use a compressor to prime. If anyone could just help me figure some first steps, to get this going, I would be so grateful.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:18 pm
A proper restoration is a lot more work than most people realize. That truck should be stripped of all glass, interior, trim, wiring, etc. and brought down to a basic metal shell.

From there I would suggest you find a shop that can media blast it to bare metal and then apply 2 coats of epoxy primer inside and out. This would get you a good foundation to start your project from.

However, since you made it clear you do not want to go that route, you can start with a Dual Action sander and 80 grit discs. Do one panel at a time until you have it down to clean bare metal.

Another option is Aircraft Paint Stripper which you will need for hard to get at areas anyway. Most auto parts stores carry it. Wear safety glasses, gloves and protective clothing. Just be sure to wash and rinse it off really well when done. This stuff can seep into the seams and then creep back out causing problems with your paint job.

Once you have a panel clean and rust free you can apply a 2 part epoxy primer. This can be done with a paint brush and plan on doing two coats. You will need a respirator (not a dust mask) when working with these chemicals. The epoxy will protect the metal from rusting while you work on the next panel.

The thing you need to understand is that body and paint work requires certain materials, techniques and tools in order for the finished result to be acceptable and long lasting.
http://www.autobody101.com/content/arti ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint