having a bad day!!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:04 am
i only test for laquer with a finger in the jambs.also i wiped the panel down twice. where to go from here?i dont want to take down to bare.should i sand flat and try a epoxy primer?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:02 am
Lacquer thinner leaves a film behind and is not meant for prepping a panel for paint.
You will need to sand the affected area.
Use only automotive wax and grease remover to wipe the panel and let it flash for 30 minutes to be sure its completely dry.
Apply very light coats of 2k primer over the area extending passed each previous coat by a couple of inches to feather. Be sure to let each coat flash off completely.
The idea is not to apply too wet of a coat and allow solvent to attack layer beneath.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:02 pm
would I be better off using the epoxy primer?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:30 pm
mudrat wrote:i am using valspar 172

thanks, I just wanted to be sure that you weren't using something you shouldn't have been using ( acetone lacquer thinner ) believe me its been done before. the 172 shouldn't be a problem, other than if your temp is down in the 60's. 172 is a mid temp reducer if its to cool then the flash time is real slow, plus a wet coat slower yet. this is not good for a sensitive under coat. this is probably not your problem but something to think about. I would just take it to bare metal i'm thinking you've got some low budget paint on their some place. if you have had this problem before maybe you should try a different sealer. although most sealers are made to go over just about anything and top coated the same way. their are s/s sealers that work very good no mixing just shoot right out of the can. this is a little puzzling, I have used sealers many times and never had a problem like this. sealers usually won't lift anything, maybe the 2 part Valspar has something in it that's hotter than most .
good luck, Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:40 pm
the epoxy should work if you sand all the lifted paint off. NOTE I said should work it may or ay not I can't tell you for sure. this is just going to be a patch over a problem better to sand it all off. epoxy is a good product to also use as a sealer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:55 pm
thanks guys, I think it might be a multiple of things that set this off. And medium reducer was too slow the shop was only 65 and I put it on to wet I'd hoping this goes better next time.I'm going to sound down all the lifted areas try to go lighter this time I'll let you know how it goes

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:08 pm
Epoxy cannot be applied over solvent sensitive finishes. Read a tech sheet or two.
Previous

Return to Body and Paint