having a bad day!!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:21 pm
hello, hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.i went to spray color on my toyota corollas bumper,fender and blend into passenger door.all went well with the paint laying down however the color match was just to far off for my liking.so i decided to stop there with no clear.i then pulled off the gat tank lid and went to paint shop and got a better match.sanded everything down with 800 and dropped back the masking paper so i could blend into the rear passenger door.the paint wrinkled in several places! :realmad: .i wait till today and sanded all down to oem paint,wiped down with 155 valspar surface cleaner,let dry for an hour,tached off, and proceeded to spray DTM2035 Valspar surface sealer...big time wrinkling!in the past i have had a fresh bumper wrinkle on me but never EVER something like this and never with a primer??the only thing different i have done on this car different than the others is using the surface cleaner.i always use 99% rubbing alcohol.any ideas of stopping this nonsense????

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:44 pm
What brand of base are you using? Valspar?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:11 pm
yes i use only valspar.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 pm
yep I've had a few. first I would like to know what your using for a reducer. and are you sure that it hasn't been painted some time back maybe with some uncatilized enamel. 2k primer or as a sealer shouldn't be a problem over almost anything and your cleaner should be ok with anything no problem there. base coat over base coat or 2 k primer or sealer should be no problem also. but base coat over uncatilized enamel top coats or primers can be a problem, even under several layers. another thing is to not put your sealers on real heavy just enough to so that its smooth not like you would maybe a filler primer.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:53 pm
i have absolutely no idea if the car had been sprayed with a enamel.however i did rub laquer thinner on the panel to test for bake off.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:58 pm
mudrat wrote:i have absolutely no idea if the car had been sprayed with a enamel.however i did rub laquer thinner on the panel to test for bake off.

On the panel that's wrinkling?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:32 pm
yes,every panel.never had anything like this.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 am
I would still like to know what your using for reducer in your sealer. also about the only things the you should use lacquer for are testing to see if there is lacquer paint on something, just a small area with your finger and a rag. or mixing lacquer paint and cleaning your gun that's about all its good for. don't use it to wipe down anything
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:34 am
did you use a clean rag with the cleaner and actually wipe it off before it dried, otherwise all the grease and contaminants are still on the panel and youve just wiped them around.
just a thought
krem

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:27 am
i am using valspar 172
Next

Return to Body and Paint