I could use some advice

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:09 am
Hey guys I'm new here. Ok so I'm going to paint my motorcycle tins myself. I'm that type of person that takes pride in saying I did it myself. I want to do a two tone on the tank. I'm going orange with a black stripe down the middle. Since I have to use a light primer base for the orange I'm assuming I'm going to have to paint the black stripe last right ? Any helpful hints anyone could give me would be awesome .

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:00 am
Sure, if you are worried that the orange is translucent and you don't want to risk a different color value due to the underlying black you could do the black last. If you do that though, don't try to put two pieces of masking tape down and get them exactly straight and parallel -- put masking tape down first that represents your stripe, then use that as a guide for the "real" masking...then remove that original guide masking tape.

You probably knew this but wanted to make sure.

Another tip - some bases can be 'disturbed' by masking over, especially metallics. It never hurts to shoot a coat of clear base over the project first, let that dry real well then do your masking. This assumes we are using a base coat / clear coat system and not single-stage.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 am
be sure to use fine line tape on your stripe.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 am
Thanks for the advice guys. This will be my first attempt to paint something without a rattle can. It seams a little overwhelming but this is something I really want to do.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:18 pm
Please don't be like a lot of people that have never had a spray gun in there hands before. they load up the gun and spray there first project and have problems. then have a big job to fix it . get yourself a fender or something and practice spraying the paint and clear so you get the feel of the gun and the paint before you attempt your tins. take your time ask lots of questions, its really not that difficult.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:13 am
Jay makes a great point. Gun setting and application technique takes practice.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 am
I have a old set of tins. I'll use them to practice on. So who makes a good inexpensive gun ? I don't want to break the bank on a Something really expensive. If I have to buy a better gun I will but I figured for my first time I didn't want to go crazy.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:55 pm
You can spend money on a cheap gun but I would recommend buying a used brand name gun like Iwata, Sata, DeVilbiss and then reselling it when you are done.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint