Respray times after last coat with laquer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:04 pm
Hi all

I have painted my calipers with proXL yellow 2k paint in a spray can, the calipers were blasted back to metal, coated with same make 2k primer then 4 coats of the yellow, I am now wondering if I should now coat them with the proXL 2k clear laquer.

The last top coat of yellow was applied 12 days ago, is it now been to long to now coat with the laquer ?

This is the first time I have painted and not come out to bad but I don't know what to do about the laquer, any help would be appreciated.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm
Is that yellow a single stage paint? Looks too glossy to be base coat to me.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Is that yellow a single stage paint? Looks too glossy to be base coat to me.

It isn't a base coat paint, it's a 2K yellow paint

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 am
Then you really shouldn't need to add the clear (lacquer). If you really want to then you will need to scuff your existing paint with a gray (fine) scotchbrite pad to dull the surface, clean and shoot clear.

Personally I think they look great the way they are and should look that way for a long time.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:43 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Then you really shouldn't need to add the clear (lacquer). If you really want to then you will need to scuff your existing paint with a gray (fine) scotchbrite pad to dull the surface, clean and shoot clear.

Personally I think they look great the way they are and should look that way for a long time.

Thanks for the reply, I will leave them like you suggest, will put a photo up when they go on the car :)

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:30 am
You need to replace or clean the paint off those pins. When you install them.
If you have a way to heat them. To let the paint out gas and really cure. It'll help keep brake dust from embedding into the paint.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Return to Body and Paint