Spraying tremclad/rustolium

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:39 pm
I just built a new 3 point hitch for the tractor and I would like to spray it with tremclad. I was planning on reducing it with paint thinner, my question is what size tip would I need and what ratio of thinner to paint would work. Anybody ever spray this before?

Thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:32 pm
never heard of it before, if you google TREMCLAD the RustOlium site comes up and there is all the info.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:28 am
A few years ago I came across a couple guys painting a car in the driveway - I swear there was more paint on them than the car !! They did it with Tremclad thinned with lacquer thinner. 2 parts paint, 1 part thinner. The trouble with that stuff is it dries so **** slow !! For a job the size of yours I think all the trouble of mixing and then cleaning up afterwards just isn't worth it. Buy a couple spray bombs, shoot it then go have a beer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:32 am
Acetone works great for thinning it and makes it dry quicker. Don't try to do multiple coats like with auto paint... wait 24 hours between coats

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:26 pm
before I sprayed my car with automotive paint I sprayed it with rustoleum, same as tremclad.
I used Paint Thinner which here its a blend of Mineral Spirits and Lacquer Thinner(IMO), the LT works as strong solvent to make it dry fast and the MS works to slow it down enough to let the paint sit and fill before it dries out. and still it dries quick specially when its 80+ F and low humidity outside.
gl

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:33 pm
Tremclad is I think Rustoleum in Canada

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:00 pm
gkent wrote:For a job the size of yours I think all the trouble of mixing and then cleaning up afterwards just isn't worth it. Buy a couple spray bombs, shoot it then go have a beer!

:goodjob:
Chris

Return to Body and Paint