Beginner questions

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 pm
G`day guys
Long time lurker first time poster.
OK sorry if this has been asked before but i have read this board (well not quite all 491 pages) and i`m a little confused.
I`m looking to paint my 78 Transit van and have a couple of questions. The previous owner gave it a **** cheap enamel paint job, i am looking at sanding the enamel off and using the original paint coat underneath as a primer/ base. I will obviously cut through to bare metal in some patches.
My questions are.....
1/ What would be the best primer to use under Acrylic laquer, i really dont want to have to take every panel back to bare metal?
2/ I will be preparing it panel by panel so would like some weather protection (dont have a garage to keep it in)
3/ Should i use an isolator coat against the chance of any enamel being left behind on the paint?
Sorry if these questions have been asked before, i have read the stickied posts and a hundred or two pages of the board and its just confused me. I have painted before but it was a case of the painter handing me a spray gun with the ready paint and saying "paint" i didnt get to learn any of the mixing or techo side of things.
If this has been answered a dozen times or has got up anyones nose i am sorry.
Cheers
Troppo

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:12 am
I'd go with epoxy primer and SS Urethane unless you are going metallic color. Make sure you get all that cheap enamel off

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:24 am
Cheers Novafreek, would i have any problems with the epoxy over the top of factory paint?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:00 am
Should be totally fine... buzzed this truck with 220/320 then shot epoxy just to give you an idea of what it will look like. Hold the sander flat on the panel and try to to sand as evenly as possible and dont push on it. Took me a long day to get this one ready, but I'm slow

Non-Lurker

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:09 am
Thanks again Novafreek, answered the one thing i really needed

Return to Body and Paint