Breaking through primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:04 pm
Hey guys, I'm working on getting my first full paint job completed on a vehicle. I recently purchased an older Dodge Dakota with a lot of body damage, and have since completed most of the body work that needed to be done. I'm moving into the primer stage of the project. All of my body work was coated with primer 3 times, and blocked out excellent, so I'm not really concerned about these areas.

When I purchased the car, there were probably a good 3-4 coats of paint on here. Places like the hood and tailgate, I stripped down completely. This probably should have been done to the whole car, but I'm not looking for perfection. In the midst of the vehicle being painted over and over, someone had taped over the original 2in wide stripe that went down the side of the entire truck. Of course this created a hard line in the paint, so I used an eraser wheel to remove the stripe, then used some P220 on my D/A to get rid of the hard line. With there being multiple coats of paint on here already, the sander created a bunch of rings that I couldn't stretch out enough to not be felt to the touch. Because of this, I went ahead and sprayed one good, solid coat of primer across the pin stripe area of the entire truck.

Once the primer had dried, I blocked it out dry with a block using P400. Everything feels great now, but I'm a little worried about the areas that broke through the primer. Bellow are a few pics of the fender:

As you can see, there are a lot of areas that have been broken through, but none of them are bondo or bare metal spots. Basically I'm looking for a professionals opinion on whether or not I should reprime the whole pin stripe area of the truck, because I'm sure it will all block out this way. As I said before, I can't feel any of these areas, but I'm still not sure if they'd be noticeable in the base coat. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 pm
The edges are expected if you aren't careful but the flat areas of the panel you have high spots of you block sanded and broke through that way.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:45 pm
are you using a guide coat ?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:28 pm
Yes, I had to block it down this far in order to break completely through the dry guide. For safe measures, I think I'm gonna keep blocking this with P220, then spray another 2-3 coats of primer back on it.

Return to Body and Paint