Respray/ clear question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:11 pm
So I finished painting my top for my car but had some issued with solvent pop. I also had a spot that didn't wet out right on the back window and came out very textured. I wet sanded all the solvent pop (I believe it was from the first coat since I banged on the second..first coat was fine). The textured area immediately started to turn blue indicating there was pretty much no clear there so I think I am just going to sand and respray the base..then clear again. My question is do I have to sand out all the orange peel? Or can I just get away with sanding out the dust nibs and hit everything with 600 grit to scuff it up?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:49 pm
If it were mine, I get out all the peel and start fresh. Shouldnt take long w/ the 600... Lookin good btw :rockon:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:07 pm
it looks nice in the picture, but yes you need to sand it smooth if you leave the peel it will be there after your respray
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:25 pm
Peel is "cumulative".... sand it, one less thing to chase later...
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:46 pm
Ok..it has been 5-6 days and I am sanding the top flat. The initial cut with 1000 grit to flatten problem areas works great but when I hit it with 600 or my light grey scuff pad it starts to clog the pad. It is pretty much done and flat but if it is still gumming up paper should I wait to respray? I don't want to spray too early and have issues with wrinkling or anything.

How long would you normally wait to respray? I am keeping it in the sun to get it to cure as fast as possible.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:01 am
Well I got the whole thing flat hitting it with 600 grit..burned through in a couple areas since at the time I wasnt particularly worried about that because I was going to respray a couple coats of the base..and then reclear but last night I was reading up on it a bit and I guess there is a concern with spraying base over clear with the clear being sandwiched between basecoat causing wrinkling. Here are some pix of the damage pretty minor...but not positive what I should do. Just shoot base and clear, sand everything off (98% looks great though), spot prime/seal and base those areas? Thoughts?

I am going to be running in to a time crunch here soon..I am in the Navy and transferring in a few weeks and have to get this done so I can load everything up on my trailer to head to my next duty station...fun fun.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 10:29 pm
Well i see some metallics,. I would try to blend the base in those burn throughs. Then re clear. What i did in similar situation, i used scotch bright grey pad and 1000 grit sand paper (called ppg and thats what they recommended)in those areas that are easy to burn through, the rest got 800. I blended red solid though. When you apply the base let it set for 30 min just to make sur you do not see any lifting issues.. Also if there is you see metal. I would use primer on those areas.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:28 am
Thanks..thats pretty much what I did. I knocked down all the nibs and orange peel then in the areas I burned through I just blended them out very slowly with a decent time between coats so I didn't get too much solvent on the panel potentially getting under the clearcoat that was there...waited a 1/2 hour..3 coats of clear. Came out pretty good..just gotta cut and buff

Return to Body and Paint