refinishing used aluminum rims

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:40 am
There's a guy on my Tundra forum who has a set of factory aluminum rims that he's willing to sell to me for $200 for the set (plus UPS freight). They are a little rough as you can see from the pictures.

I searched the forum and didn't find much on the topic, so I posting a new thread. It may turn into a complete aluminum rims refinishing thread if you guys can help me figure it out.

Any experts on this subject, please data-dump for me and give me opinions on what can be done with them.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:10 am
Easy.

Wash well and Prepsol thoroughly. Minor scratches can be sanded back but don't go too deep and change the shape. Deeper scratches repair by filling and sanding. Only repair the face, no point in doing any other area. Finish sand to P320 then etch any bare alloy and prime and paint any colour you like.

Most paint systems have formulae for wheel colours.

Keep film builds low, especially around the edges and allow a minimum 24 hours before fitting tyres, after clear.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:00 pm
NFT5 wrote:Easy.

Wash well and Prepsol thoroughly. Minor scratches can be sanded back but don't go too deep and change the shape. Deeper scratches repair by filling and sanding. Only repair the face, no point in doing any other area. Finish sand to P320 then etch any bare alloy and prime and paint any colour you like.

Most paint systems have formulae for wheel colours.

Keep film builds low, especially around the edges and allow a minimum 24 hours before fitting tyres, after clear.

Thanks. Think I'll buy them.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:25 pm
I got a set of 02 ish Toyota rims from Kijiji for $80 and they were in way worst shape than yours. The plan was to use them for winter rims then I decided to make them my nice summer rims.

I had to wire wheel the corrosion off then followed up with aluminum cleaner. Filled the pits and SS stage then tried a single coat of clear.

I have a sand blast cabinet and will be doing rims there as this took for ever. Seemed like an easy 100hrs into this set, but they turned out nice. This was my first time shooting clear and managed to get only a small run. I used a SRI Pro for S.S and clear. I used Endura EX-2C with their 100 clear

http://www.endura.ca/products/topcoats.html
Attachments
IMG_1843.jpg
IMG_1842.jpg
IMG_1838.jpg
IMG_1819.jpg

Return to Body and Paint