Painting a boat trailer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:02 pm
Thanks for all the great info on this site. I am a nearly complete newbie (I painted a 1980 VW Westfalia about 25 years ago) and need to attend to some rust and colour issues my boat trailer has. I have been reading about the durability of using an epoxy primer and single stage urethane paint. My plan was to get the fenders blasted (they are now much worse than what you see in the photo) and sand and the rest of the trailer which has solid paint with a few dings here and there. I am wondering how to prep the really tough areas that will be impossible to sand properly like the painted leaf springs and callipers. Is there a product that I can use on the leaf springs and other small and very difficult to properly prep areas to improve primer adhesion?
Attachments
web boat.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:02 am
I would be best to have those blasted as well.
If it were mine I would blast the whole thing, blow off all the loose media with compressed air paying close attention to cracks, crevices and seams, then shoot two coats of epoxy on everything.
Next day you can paint it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:56 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I would be best to have those blasted as well.
If it were mine I would blast the whole thing, blow off all the loose media with compressed air paying close attention to cracks, crevices and seams, then shoot two coats of epoxy on everything.
Next day you can paint it.

Ok, thanks. I will look into what it would cost to have the whole trailer blasted. If it is in our budget, I will do exactly as you say 68 Coronet. Two coats of epoxy primer and then what paint would you suggest?

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:03 pm
Try this for S.S paint after epoxy,

http://www.endura.ca/products/Topcoats/ex2c.html

Same price for any color too.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:20 pm
just another idea, if you live near a larger city is to take it apart and have it galvanized. here it's quite reasonable probably less than what you'll have in paint and sand blasting.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint