Messed up matte clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:15 pm
First I'm no professional. I have painted gloss clear before with no issues. I just painted a car with a nice titanium gray and messed up when I painted the matte clear. My gun sucked and basically I could have done a better job throwing the matte clear in my mouth and blowing it all over the car. so two questions.

1. What is a good brand of a paint gun I can purchase at a local store like sanel?

2. I was able to successfully wet sand the matte clear to a nice smooth finish and my question is this: can I just shoot another coat of matte clear on top of it? I did 3 layers of the matte clear and was very careful not to wet sand to the titanium base coat. I'm assuming I have a green light and should put one 70% wet coat of the matte clear, let it dry a bit then spray one more light coat to make it uniform. Thoughts? :rockon: :rockon:

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm
:welcome:
.....to the forum!

1. The brands to look for locally would be DeVilbiss, Sharpe, IWATA, SATA.
You can buy guns from the online store here: http://www.autobody101.com/store/spray-guns/
Sounds like you are in New England area, so they would arrive quickly to your door.

2. I would only spray enough clear for proper coverage, making sure it is laying down the way I want it to look when finished.
If the manufacture states to use 2 - 3 coats of clear, try to use the recommended amount.
Thicker clear coat can lead to more chips and other issues.

Do not shoot a "light" coat of clear coat on the final coat(s). It needs to be medium-wet coats from start to finish. Use proper flash time between coats. Only on very specific tricky finishes should you start with a light "tack coat", but it is not used 90% of the time.

The product data sheet will have very specific application instructions that will be helpful in getting the desired results. :)

Return to Body and Paint