Nason Ful Poxy 491-12

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:24 pm
Hello folks, I tried searching the forum regarding Nason DTM Epoxy 491-12 Black but couldn't find any info. I was planning on using this on the underside of my 66 Mustang as well as the front inner and outer apron assembly. I have heard others use black epoxy, ********** in particular and have not had to top coat it for this purpose. I was wondering if anyone here has used it for this purpose and wondering if it has a semi gloss appearance?

thanks.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:34 pm
On a frame or suspension parts you don't need to topcoat epoxy. Shipping to Canada isn't cheap (has to go ground not air) but a lot of guys use the epoxy I sell here, for exactly this purpose. It has a nice semi-gloss finish.

http://www.autobody101.com/store/paint- ... xy-primer/

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:28 pm
Hello Chris, thanks for the reply. I picked up a gallon of the Nason thinking it would work but after opening the can this morning I saw it is more of a charcoal color more so than black as indicated on the can. Also it is very thin compared to the PPG I already have. Since the front clip has been blasted already I figured I'd give it a good coat of the PPG grey I already have to prevent anymore flash rusting. I had to go over the blasted area 2x already since I blasted it 3 weeks ago. I just put one coat for now until I get some black. I'm going to try my luck with a jobber in Ontario, Canada again.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:15 pm
Looks good!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 pm
did you stir the epoxy with a stick
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:46 pm
For sure Jay, brought it to my friends shop he has a shaker. First thing I thought when I opened the can, I figured some of the pigment was settled in the bottom. I scraped the bottom very well and when it still didn't turn black I took it up the street and put it on a shaker for 20 minutes...it looked the same.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:22 am
you did good
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:26 am
bRian wrote: Since the front clip has been blasted already I figured I'd give it a good coat of the PPG grey I already have to prevent anymore flash rusting. I had to go over the blasted area 2x already since I blasted it 3 weeks ago. I just put one coat for now until I get some black. I'm going to try my luck with a jobber in Ontario, Canada again.

For your future projects since you have already primed the car: PPG HSP black is DTM, provides excellent corrosion resistance, does not need to be topcoated and is CAT approved. It is also inexpensive compared to the automotive line, so is CRE epoxy. It is not deep black like Concept or other death black urethanes but it is not that unacceptable grey/brown.

Return to Body and Paint