Summit paint?? help please.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:40 am
Upping the pressure helps with atomization and reducing orange peel, it won't do anything for solvent pop. Either cut the reducer in half like I said earlier or don't reduce it like Andy suggests.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 pm
im using their bright white right now and posted my own thread after a disaster. i learned on my first project motorcycle over the last couple of weeks i wasn't using the proper gun setup and tended to dry spray without proper air pressure on that gun and tip size.

i am using harbor freight gun with 1.5 tip the 6cfm model.

i just tried this paint today with just its activator, no reducer and there is no problem with flow for me and it was about 75 degrees today, in fact first spray it ran right away. the fan, etc. on this gun seem real touchy. i was flooding the test coats and even first coat on my good panel it ran over the edges. i was practically blind in the garage today and made some major mistakes.

even with problems i mentioned in my thread with the bubbles or whatever they are called, the finish now that i look at it seems pretty smooth, way less orange peel than my first experience with clearcoat.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:06 pm
damac wrote:im using their bright white right now and posted my own thread after a disaster. i learned on my first project motorcycle over the last couple of weeks i wasn't using the proper gun setup and tended to dry spray without proper air pressure on that gun and tip size.

i am using harbor freight gun with 1.5 tip the 6cfm model.

i just tried this paint today with just its activator, no reducer and there is no problem with flow for me and it was about 75 degrees today, in fact first spray it ran right away. the fan, etc. on this gun seem real touchy. i was flooding the test coats and even first coat on my good panel it ran over the edges. i was practically blind in the garage today and made some major mistakes.

even with problems i mentioned in my thread with the bubbles or whatever they are called, the finish now that i look at it seems pretty smooth, way less orange peel than my first experience with clearcoat.

I cannot get this paint to run at all without using reducer unless i literally PILE it on.
What psi are you running to the gun?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 pm
are we talking the cheapo 6cfm harbor freight gun or the other more expensive ones where the air requirements go up? i couldn't get the $30 gun to work for a crap.

i got 30 psi with the cheapo gun. the material knob works but one thing i noticed i have had trouble with on these guns is the fan. it seems to turn to a mess for me when i even go halfway on the controls. right past closed its extreme liquid with a narrow fan, then slight tweaking past 1/4 turn and i finally got and ok fan of 4-6 inches i think.

slight overspray was rolling off the panels and i could just see a hint in the air before my fans took it away within a minute.

my 2k primer i shot yesterday i think is thicker than this stuff and summit makes it. and i was able to adjust the gun to get runs, ending up backing off the fluid knob, not even 3 turns out but i didn't write it down!

im trying to be patient now with spraying for pattern with the air pressure set on some tests based on material. my paint says 6-8 inches away from panel so thats where i would hold it then see what happens. give yourself some fluid then adjust the fan and go back to the fluid.

my first spray was terrible, then i couldn't see and didn't have enough test areas setup so i blew it, anxious to shoot my first panel, what a mistake.

but i had to back the fluid amount back a good bit as well so those test shoots didn't leave running mess almost instanlty after hitting, and it was definately leaving the gun quick based on the material i used up vs. high build primer.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:13 pm
Alright, well im using a devilbiss finishline now, but i was using the cheap purple gun.
I am going to do a little bit for troubleshooting tomorrow and post back.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:30 pm
I don't know guys.. This is super frustrating!
Upped the air pressure to 32psi, still exact same problems.

I need some one to come and tell me what im doing wrong.. lol

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:08 pm
OK, what I have found works best for me is this:

Whatever is stamped on the gun as MAX PSI, should be your target number or even a bit higher with trigger pulled... I then open fan control fully, and set material knob in with trigger pulled until I can start to feel resistance. Gun distance from panel is 4-6 inches on a good HVLP gun and maybe about 12 on the HF guns that say 45psi max (they say HVLP, but are really conventional guns with gravity feed)... when you spray a test, just depress trigger for a second and check the pattern. It should be a long stripe or cigar shape with very fine droplets around the outside. Spray the paint on panel like you want the finished product to look, and WATCH it carefully as it goes on. When you spray you want that paint right on the very edge of running, but not running... it takes alot of practice.

Make sure to use a regulator and water filter at the gun itself.

This is the best help I can give

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:13 pm
Well i have literally tried everything with this project and i cannot get it to lay down good..
I'm thinking about giving up.

It has got to be a problem with my air lines i must not be getting enough volume of air.
Thats the ONLY thing i can think of right now.
I MIGHT try again tomorrow with the 1.5 tip instead of the 1.3, thats the only other thing i can think of.

Here is some pictures of my air lines and a test piece of cardboard i was messing around on.. Please if anything looks weird or wrong let me know.
Attachments
20150531_160320.jpg
20150531_160335.jpg
20150531_160151.jpg
20150531_160114.jpg
20150531_160059.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:14 pm
I piled it on really really thick mostly because i was frustrated..
Attachments
20150531_160405.jpg

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:10 am
I think I have read that 1.3 is a bit small for SS. Only ever used a 1.4.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint