Fish Eyes!!!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:38 pm
I am getting tons of fish eyes all over my panels when shooting my clear (Finish 1, Medium Hardener). I am an amateur (less than 10 paint jobs) and can't figure out what is going wrong. I have 30 ft of piping multiple filters at the end of that and the gun filter is showing no signs of moisture. I have also tested a coat on a sheet of test paper to make sure there wasn't some kind of contamination in my panel. However, every time I shoot the clear it will within 30 sec to 2 min form little divots. What am I missing? I know it's hard to tell without being on site but if you guys could maybe give me some things to trouble shoot that would really help me out.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Gotta ask... what sprayer are you using?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:14 pm
I just got the gun (link) below. Up to this paint job I have been using one those ultra cheapies from the sets that come with 3 guns for like $70.

http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-E ... B00HZBX14E

The recommended inlet pressure is 15-19 psi on the new gun. I have been setting it at 19psi (trigger pulled) and the paint flowset to fully open. Do you think it might not be atomizing properly? The gun puts out a nice pattern and seems to lay it down smooth but I'd definitely be up for trying something. Maybe run higher pressure and some less paint?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:51 pm
If it is truly fisheyes... the problem is contamination somewhere. Gotta be in the air line or the gun itself, since you say it did it on test paper also.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:15 am
Specs on that gun:
SPECIFICATIONS:
Nozzle Size: 1.3
Cup Capacity: 600ml
Operation Pressure: 15-19psi
Weight: 0.6lbs. (285g)
Gun Dimensions W x H: 7" x 5-3/4" (175mm x 145mm)
Avg. Air Consumption: 11.5-13.5cfm
Air Inlet Thread NPT: 1/4"
Required Compressor: 2.2-3.7hp
Max. Pattern at 4" to 7" Distance: 9"-101/4" (230-260mm)
Air Cap Output: 10psi
Air Hose I.D. Size: 6-8mm

On the information sheet it states it has been lubricated for easy adjustment.
I would take it all apart and I mean ALL apart and clean everything very thoroughly. Make sure you take the little plastic strainer thingy out of the gun (usually where the cup threads on) and throw it away.

Astro makes a decent spray gun (Iwata Knock-offs) so if you have the compressor to drive it and get it clean you shouldn't have any problems with it. If your issues are compressor related (oil/water in the air) that will need to be taken care of. Sometimes using a hose that has been previously contaminated can cause problems as well.

Did you use a tack cloth or wipe the panel before spraying your clear?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:20 pm
ok, so on test paper I have seemingly eliminated the issue (ended up cleaning and turning up pressure to the gun). I actually have picked up some fish eye eliminator as insurance because I am tired of messing with it. So here is my question:

do I have to get the panels sanded flat or is there a way I can level the craters by using a certain spray technique and/or fish eye eliminator? While the extra work of sanding them all the way down isn't attractive, my real worry is sanding through the clear.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:22 pm
Really no shortcut... you need to get the surface perfectly flat again... you may need to re base.

I'd probably DA w/320 then block it out with 400

No experience with fisheye eliminator

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 am
I am using the same clear coat with similar results. After doing some searching on the net I find there are a lot of us in the same situation. Its not your equipment its the clear coat. The activator has a large temperature range- 50- 80 degrees the other is 80 and warmer. It is temperature sensitive and the mfg sheet has re-coat times at 70 degrees no humity listed so there is a variation. the other issue may be that it went on heavier and was not quite dry between coats. Bu the good news is.. just wet sand the bubbles own flat- start with 1200 then 100 then 800.. 600 if you have to but be careful. then recoat the clear - mist it on. Little higher pressure but work fast, keep about 8" away evenly- give it more like an hour between coats ( your temp may vary) it should come out fine.

Return to Body and Paint