scared as hell of painting over laquer single stage!!

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:42 pm
this might get long guys but am totally new to single stage i usually just do panel repairs.... so my buddy wants his 89 CJ sprayes factory almond beije. i was up to do it until he tells me it has been repainted the factory color in single stage.i wipe a small area with laquer thinner and with hard pressure and it comes off.this tells me its a laquer single ....now do i need to take this thing down to metal to paint a bc/cc?can i just flatten welds and fix dents and then primer right onto the laquer color....totally lost as to where to start!!any help appreciated....

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 pm
I don't know why there is this fear out there of acrylic. People used it for 30 years before two pack paints became popular and it's still used for show cars and period correct restorations.

In fact, I get more problems from feathered edges of two pack undercoats than I've ever had from acrylic.

If the paint is in good condition still then just treat it like any other. Do whatever repairs you need to and prime as you would normally. If you're concerned then a coat of sealer will give you peace of mind but I wouldn't bother, myself. The key with acrylic is not to overwet the surface. Light wet coats and make sure that you adhere to the flash times.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:37 pm
:happy: thanks!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:50 pm
what do you use to clean the surface before sealer?and is a direct to metal primer ok or should i use epoxy?thanks again.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:16 am
If you have patches of bare metal then DTM primer is a good one step solution, saving having to seal.

I like to wash first, Prepsol, repair and then wash again before paint. A lot of painters will leave out the second wash but I have more faith in water removing any dust than a tack cloth.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint