stripping my car

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:39 am
I am in the process of stripping the paint off my car. The front fenders and various small pieces from the front clip are off the car and have been stripped and primed with spray etching primer. My plan is to reassemble the front change my rocker panels then strip the rest of the car. I plan on using Tamco hi build primer. Two questions Should all my spray primer be removed before I use the hi build primer and since the rear quarters have no rust at all should I strip them. The car has minimal rust spots. One on the roof and one on the door. The car is a 65 studebaker 4 door. Thanks All the front pieces are nos because of the condition of the front. This is where these cars tended to rust.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:04 pm
The 2K primer should tolerate being shot over the etch primer you have there now but keep in mind the weakest link will be that etch primer especially if it's a 1K product (i.e. the aerosol can you used was not a special activated can).

No need to strip any areas of the car that are in good shape, just buzz with p220 on a D/A then go to the 2K primer.

Return to Body and Paint