bccc blend ?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:26 am
I want to repaint the bedside top s on my 2010 GM truck due to damage from plastic bed liner. The truck is a dark blue . I s it possible to refinish the bed side top rail areas and blend in to factory paint without seeing a hard edge or color shade difference?
Larry

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:12 am
Yes you can, now depending on the color if the damage is confined to the very top of the bed side and not over the rolled edge. you'll want to keep your repair as far away as you can from the rolled edge. this way you can spray your color down on the top rail several lite coats if done properly it should blend on the roll. I would then run a blend coat along the roll. you want to keep the color off the side as much as possible otherwise you will might need to blend to the cab. now clear all of the bed side. you can blend the clear but to get perfect results its not really in the scope of someone that's never done it before. there are blending agents but I've never had 100% good results with them especially on a dark color. I use DuPont's 222 mid coat adhesion promoter it works very good for clear blends. anyway just clear the complete side its much easier.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:56 am
Thanks
So I I need to epoxy prime , use fill prime or spot putty on any gouges . , get it all straight . At break roll tape or use 3m soft edge ?Spray color and then clear ?bed sides .
Larry

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:25 pm
as I said before keep the repair area as far away from the rolled outside edge as you can. you can mask up on top when you prim, to keep primer overspray off of the roll and the sides. you want to use that roll as part of your blend. no masking when you do the color. i'm not sure what you will need to do the repair I can't see it color, metallic or solid and some pictures would be helpful.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:54 am
I'm no pro. But I use the technique explained here:

Sounds like you are trying to confine the repair to a smaller area, but the principal is the same to me.

-Vetsen

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:13 pm
Technique did not show .
Larry

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:58 pm
Fixed the link for him. ;)

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:03 am
thanks VW
Audio is hard to follow all what hes explaing the process get the general idea .
larry

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:07 pm
Sprayed the bottom of the half door with Omni base then clear coat . Came out very good . Except the color is a couple shades darker than the factory . Like to get a better matchwhen I do the bedsides , Dealer gave me some white tinting mix to add to the base .
Any suggestions ?
Larry

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:55 pm
Larry, your problem is the Omni base.... stuff is terrible when it comes to color match. You can experiment with that tint but it's no replacement for a better quality base coat (Deltron is expensive nowadays but you get what you pay for....).
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Next

Return to Body and Paint