WHAT SS URETHANE PAINT TO USE ON A BUDGET?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:59 am
Hey guys, I'm new here, but not to car restoration. I haven't had a whole car painted in many years, but what I used to do is take care of all the prep myself, either remove or mask everything I could, and then have a local MAACO do the prime and paint (usually with an acrylic enamel like Centari). Pretty much without exception I got a nice looking finish with decent durability.

Anyway, I'm working on a Chrysler 300C that I picked up recently. I'm trying to freshen it up a bit, but I don't want to break the bank. I'm replacing the hood because it's mangled, and I thought I might as well paint the whole car, because there are spur marks all over it.

Turns out, there's one local MAACO left, and they will still do the complete paint (single stage) at a reasonable price if I bring it to them prepped. Problem is, either they don't have a lot of knowledge about high-end paints, or they just don't want to work with anything "different". I asked about a polyurethane and they said, "we can paint it with urethane for a little more, we just mix the catalyst into the (cheaper) paint to make it urethane".

I'm hoping you guys can recommend a good, reasonably priced SS urethane that will have some of the characteristics of a "true" polyurethane like Imron. I don't want to have to worry about cracking on the plastic parts and I don't trust MAACO to use a flex agent properly. Also it would be nice to have a finish that doesn't chip easily...I painted a truck with Imron years ago and that stuff stood up like iron.

Does Eastwood or Kirker have anything like Imron? I understand that Imron has come way down in price...maybe since this particular shop uses DuPont products, I should just tell them to use that. I'd appreciate any recommendations, such as a specific type of primer to ask for. And before anyone asks, it is a metallic paint. Personally, I'd prefer a BC/CC, but it's not in the budget.

Thanks in advance! Carl

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:17 am
welcome to the forums.

Imron is not a great choice unless the place has experience with it. I'd just let them shoot what they are comfortable with. Actually, based on what they told you already I would find another shop. There are plenty of decent mid-priced paint systems out there that can turn out great results.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:57 am
Would you mind naming a few, preferably something that is marketed as a "polyurethane" or has polyurethane-like qualities?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:08 pm
On the inexpensive side:

PPG shopline
Kirker
Pro-Spray
Nason
Limco
Dimension

Better:

PPG Deltron
Axalta (formerly DuPont) Cromax
Limco

Even better:

Spies Hecker
Glasurit

My criteria in this list is: color match, coverage, and consistency. If doing an all-over job and not worrying about color match the lower end lines are fine. I left PPG Omni off the list only because it is so inconsistent among color groupings, but if shooting a basic solid color (for example), it's usable.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:28 pm
if the shop that your taking it to Maaco and they are familiar with Centari just have them catalyze it. that's almost as good as urethane, you'll never know the difference. I would use a b/c coat system if your color is metallic you could probably b/c for a few dollars more than the Centari.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:27 pm
Chris Omni and Shop line are the same product. Shop line is a private PPG label for their Platium (spelling) Jobbers and Omni is for the other PPG jobbers. I work for a PPG jobber here in Idaho. :happy:

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:57 am
heh, thanks for that info - I did not know they were just repackaging Omni...ugh...

OK, so stay away from both unless a very simple all-over job and you don't have to worry about color match.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:15 pm
Jobbers that carry PPG exclusively can sell Shopline. Those that sell other brands cannot sell Shopline but can sell Omni. I've had Omni SS on work vehicles that are outside and abused; ten years later they look fine. Obviously Concept would be a better choice.

It is "PPG Platinum Distributor Program". Surely an employee of PPG knows how to spell their program.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:16 pm
ScottB I don't want to sound like a jerk but If you read my post I said that I work for a PPG JOBBER not PPG. And I'm sure that you misspelled some in you life time. Oh no that's right you are Mr perfect. :worthy:

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:52 pm
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum also. I'm considering repairing rusted rear fenders on an older Accord and then repainting the whole car.
badsix wrote:I would use a b/c coat system if your color is metallic you could probably b/c for a few dollars more than the Centari.
Jay D.

Is this because of issues re. sanding/buffing ?

Return to Body and Paint