Noob to painting, can someone tell me what i did wrong?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 am
So do you guys thing this motor would be enough to run that gun?

http://www.harborfreight.com/145-psi-3- ... 67697.html

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:50 am
If you only going to do this one job then I suggest you rent a compressor that puts out at least 15 CFM at 40 psi.
I do not like Harbor Freight based on my personal experience with their products being low quality but some people claim good success with their air compressors. However if you decide to stay with HF and do more painting than this one job then this is the minimum size compressor you should be looking at: http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60-ga ... 93274.html
If you read the article I linked to it explains why sizing the air compressor is important.

The tech sheet for your paint recommends 1.2 - 1.4 tip size for an HVLP (smaller tip size makes for a finer spray)
What model DeVilbiss spray gun are you using?
A Finishline HVLP will require 13.5 CFM at 23 PSI to get 10 psi "at the cap". 10 psi at the cap is the ideal pressure for atomizing the paint with that gun.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:11 am
http://www.amazon.com/Devilbiss-Finishl ... B006ZO2MI8

Thats the gun I am using. I read your article and understand why the correct cfm is needed to atomize the paint. I'm just trying to find the right solution to the problem being that I don't really want to spend the money on a new compressor. I am slowly finding out maybe I need to give up until i can afford to do it right.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:27 pm
toeffer,
I am not trying to discourage you but I see this happen time and again with newbies. The whole reason I wrote that article was to help people like yourself.
See if you can borrow a friend's compressor. Also read up on hooking two compressors together as sometimes this can get you by until the funds are there.

I started out with a 2hp 60 gallon compressor and not even 3 weeks into my project I came to the realization it was too small. I was constantly waiting for it to catch up so I could spray another pass and then wait again. The DA wouldn't even run for more than a couple of seconds without bogging down and the compressor seemed to run constantly while I tried to chip away at the project.

Finally made up my mind to buy a bigger, better compressor and kept watching for sales.
Later, I learned about Craigslist and purchased my refrigerated air drier:

and my blast cabinet:

for $200 dollars each. I know it sounds crazy but its the God's honest truth.
I have seen great deals on shop sized compressors too but I don't need them.

So check out the local ads. Also consider buying a bigger compressor using store credit or a credit card where you can make payments.

Hang in there.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:30 pm
Hey I really appreciate all the honest help. I've been looking at compressors today on craigslist.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm
http://omaha.craigslist.org/tls/5078238675.html

Well I decided to pull the trigger on this one. There is something wrong with it, but I think at 450$ its cheap enough to risk.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:14 pm
So I got that compressor expecting to have to put some money into it. I got it home wired it up, and it works like a champ! Im not sure why he thought something was wrong with it, but SCORE! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:21 am
Wow, that is a good deal. When you run the piping for it be sure to look at some of the layouts in the Tools and Supplies section. A search for Airlines or plumbing should get you there.
1968 Coronet R/T

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:20 pm
So now that I have this compressor, what should I start looking for next. I have a 30$ 3/8" water seperator from Home depot right off the tank.

What are the must haves for painting after my current set up?

Are Water separators doing the same thing as an air dryer? Do the three stage water separators work that much better than a single?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:29 pm
You should have at least 20' of air line before your water separator.
I use a flexible air line from compressor to a vertical piece of 3/4" copper piping. The flexible line hooks to a T fitting with about 16" extending toward the floor with a valve on it. The top portion runs straight up to the ceiling height and then runs across the wall about 10' with a slight downhill pitch to it. (The idea is to allow the air to cool and the moisture to condense inside the copper pipe and then run away from the compressor.) It then turns 90 degrees toward the floor for about 6-8" and starts back across the wall at a slight downhill pitch toward the compressor, drops another 16" into my first air filter/water separator. From there it enters the Speedaire Drier then travels back up the wall to 6-8" under the previous pipe and runs downhill toward the booth. It enters a T fitting into a vertical section of pipe with 16" drop to valve and upward about 24" and through the wall into the booth.
Inside the booth I have the second air regulator/water separator then into a particle filter and then the air hose to the gun.
1968 Coronet R/T

PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint