Noob to painting, can someone tell me what i did wrong?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:52 am
So if I am doing a copper cooler/water trap system on my wall is it only effective if I intercept the air between my compressor and tank? Or can I just do it all inline with my one device?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:42 am
A water separator will do absolutely no good unless it is located at least 20' from the tank.
Hot compressed air from the pump goes into the tank and from there through the copper lines where it begins to cool down and allow the water to condense and get caught in the separator.

If you put the water separator too close to the tank the moist, warm air will pass right through it and the water will collect in your lines and hoses causing you problems.

Note: I use copper but some use other materials.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:11 pm
I think you misinterpreted my question.

I dont want to put the separator close to my tank.

I am asking if doing a cooler/separator is best done before the air goes IN the tank from compressor. Or if it would still function on the output side of the compressor inline with my hose reel.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 pm
High end compressors do have an intercooler loop and water separator between the pump and tank but you are not going to do this unless you have the engineering nailed down. This is a high pressure zone in the system, and requires a bleed-off after the compressor cycles, otherwise the motor will thermal lock next time it is asked to run the pump. I'm not saying you can't do it but it would be a pretty tall order.

If you instead run 20' minimum of hard line from your compressor tank, then put your water separator and regulator in after that, you should be fine. Drain the compressor tank daily after usage, as some water will end up there too.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 pm
So I got my new compressor put in, and my water trap installed tonight! Lets try this again!!
Attachments
watertrap.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:05 pm
Im getting super discouraged now. Went to lay some paint today, after upgrading my compressor, and doing a water trap. Im getting clean dry air to the gun. But it laid down like crap, and the front of the gun is covered in paint. It is coming out in big drops and fine drops, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Any suggestions?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm
Have you disassembled and cleaned your gun?

Are you properly setting up your spray pattern?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:18 pm
Yes, I took it all apart and cleaned it multiple times. I cant even seem to get any sort of patterns.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:43 pm
toeffer wrote:Im getting super discouraged now. Went to lay some paint today, after upgrading my compressor, and doing a water trap. Im getting clean dry air to the gun. But it laid down like crap, and the front of the gun is covered in paint. It is coming out in big drops and fine drops, it just doesn't seem right to me.

Any suggestions?

You have problems with the gun. Did you buy it new? Have you been able to spray paint with it before?
Are you sure you have the right needle and tip set in there? The needle and the tip must be matched. The tip should be fairly snug in the gun when reassembling. Are you missing any seals or plastic washers?
Get an exploded view diagram of the gun and check to be sure all parts are there and installed correctly.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:31 am
toeffer wrote:Yes, I took it all apart and cleaned it multiple times. I cant even seem to get any sort of patterns.

make sure everything is spotless! , are you using paint strainers when putting paint into the gun? , slightest bit of crap will cause problems..
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint