What IS this black undercoating? Should I remove it?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:35 am
Here is a pic of a Suzuki Samurai's wheel well. You can see the line of oem black undercoating where I have ground it away. Wondering........what is it made of? Petroleum product? Rubber? a mix?

The whole underneath of the samurai's tub is covered with this stuff. I will need to cover up my new-metal rust repair areas with epoxy primer and then either Imron paint or Raptor bedliner and rubber undercoating. I'm wondering if I should leave the the rest of this oem undercoating intact where it is appears to be still ok? Or, should I remove it all [ because it's inferior to epoxy primer / bedliner I can replace it with ]? The oem stuff has a primer under it , and over the bare metal. The metal is in good condition considering it's 30 years old.....but not in all of the places on the tub belly.

Here is a link to some of the other body work it's getting. It ain't perfect, but it will be a lot more solid than when I started!

Thanks for your thoughts!

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,131917.0.html

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:59 am
I wouldn't remove any of the oem undercoating IF its in good condition. the reason for the undercoating is its much tougher than any paint you could put on. the underside of you car gets bombarded by rocks, sand and what ever is on the road. paint, Imron, epoxy, just won't hold up it will chip away. the urethane bed liner material is good for this it won't chip off. you can spray your repair areas with epoxy then use he bed liner. a lot of guys here spray the bed liner on the inside also.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:45 am
OK, thanks for the reply Jay.

I will be spraying the Raptor Bedliner on the inside of the tub.........carpets not going back in there.

I already sprayed the Raptor Bedliner on the frame that I stripped to bare metal last summer. It took months of work stripping it down, eventually to where I media blasted it with glass beads. After a thorough wash with lacquer thinner, I sprayed with Pro Form Epoxy Primer, and then sprayed with bedliner the following day.

Since working on the frame, installing drivetrain parts, I noticed that the bedliner is not as tough as I thought / hoped for........ If I dropped a ratchet on the frame, like on the edge of a corner, it would chip off a small piece of the bedliner exposing the primer. Hummmmm. Not sure if its a bedliner thing, or the bond between the bedliner and the primer? Anyway, I'm kinda suspect of putting it on the underside of the tub now after seeing the chipping happen. It's like it is TOO hard and not pliable enough.

On the tub underbelly, maybe epoxy primer, bedliner with some rubber undercoating on top of the bedliner?

Do you know what that oem black coating is made of? It burns when too hot from welding, lol.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:31 am
Not familiar with that bedliner product, is it a 2K product? It definitely shouldn't chip off the epoxy that easily if it's any good.

If you epoxy prime the underneath of the tub, there really isn't any need for anything else on top of it, it will seal and protect just fine on it's own and has a nice appearence by itself.

Cool project btw

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:54 am
Yes, its a 2K product.

http://www.u-pol.co.uk/documents/datash ... TDS-US.pdf

Return to Body and Paint