Spotting in over paint from the 60-70's-Acrylic en. Repair?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:05 am
1964 356c barn find with 46k miles. Cleaned up nicely and runs and drives great now. Had one repaint in 73-74. Trying to keep it in barn find condition right now but there were a few gouges that need to be fixed and maybe spotted in and blended into the panel and a rear bumper repair needed.

My thought was get DuPont full cryl and panel paint the bumper and spot in the left quarter and nose where the repairs are needed. Any tips or suggestions beyond that? I've only spray urethane bc/cc and SSU. Never anything else out of a paint gun. I'd probably pick up a cheap spot gun for this to avoid mixing up my stuff.

Any help would be great. :worthy:

Here is the car with its best side showing.

Thanks,
Harold

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:17 pm
Very nice barn find!

I think your plan is fine. It's either do what you said or go for the full restorative paint job...

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:18 pm
chris wrote:Very nice barn find!

I think your plan is fine. It's either do what you said or go for the full restorative paint job...

Thanks! Any tips on spotting or blending Cryl?? Otherwise I'll just see what happens and try and get it closer before the car show in Sept. I want to keep it near barn find condition and maintain the patina for the most part.
Harold

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:51 pm
Prep as usual for the repair/blend (p800 to p1000).

Follow the tech sheet on the application, just short of the end of the blend area with two coats, then hit the limit of the blend area (but still short of the sanded prep area) with a slightly over-reduced mix. On the very edge of the blend you can use a blending agent - I've used U-POL "fade out" before on repairs like this. It can be tricky to use, requires a very light touch and they are not kidding when they tell you do it in two very quick passes - after your final SS color has been allowed to flash off.

This will work well *if* you have a great color match on that green.

Keep us posted.

Return to Body and Paint