How Clean Does it Have To Be?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:02 pm
Here is a pic of my Samurai tub, from the underneath. I have done some rust repair, cutting out rust and welding in new sheet metal. I have just finished the 1st scrubbing of it today. I used a product called "Super Clean" and a bucket of Dish detergent and TSP mixed in H20.

Much scrubbing with all kinds of brushes.........like 4 hours worth. Most of the oil and grease is removed, but there is still the baked-on trans oil and U joint grease. It looks tan in color in the pic. You can see it where it is over top of the light colored paint, and it's not so easy to see over the darker undercoating.......but its there.

How can I get this baked stuff off? I want to preserve the paint underneath it, as it is still good.........so no wire wheel removal, I need something more gentle.

I will be glass media blasting the bare metal I already have, 2k epoxy prime it, and the whole underside will get a coat of 2k Raptor Bedliner. I need this bedliner to adhere to the old finnish...........thus my question. How clean does it have to be?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:13 pm
It's going to be risky to apply new material over any burned-on oil/grease, etc.

Do you think a pressure washer might do it?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:01 pm
But the old paint isn't good..it's got baked on oil on to it . I don't see why you are trying to preserve the paint when you are shooting undercoating over it. Seems lazy and counter intuitive, not too mention most undercoating call for bare metal for best results.

Also why not take a wire wheel to the baked on oil? It would remove it obviously and it's not like you'd have to feather it out too much being that it's the underside of your car. I'd imagine you're looking more for reliability then looks so..

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 am
This stuff works better on grease than I even thought possible.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-oz-I ... /100047759

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:43 pm
i use easy-off oven cleaner for the hard stuff. just don't leave it on too long :shocked:

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:52 am
Thanks for the replies.

I'll try the oven cleaner first. Thank you.
Apparently, that makes me "lazy" :rotfl:

Without dipping the tub, I could never get the oem finish out from under those cross-rails anyway. I have a pressure washer, but it's not very powerful and just uses cold tap water.
Looks like more scubbing is in store. That grease must come off before applying any other coatings.

Return to Body and Paint