Has anyone ever used custom mixed spray paint cans?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:57 pm
I have a home in Florida, and unlike my other home in Pittsburgh, I don't have a compressor, or even a garage. At that house I have a very cool 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood. It has very wide chrome trim all along the bottom of the car, and at the top of the trim is a strip of ribbed, painted rubber about 2 inches wide. From the factory this rubber trim is painted a silver/gray color. It is sun faded, and I would like to paint it. I have seen some people color match that trim to the car color, which I think is a very cool and subtle modification. Anyway, on to my question; has anyone used the custom color mixed spray paint cans that a body supply shop can make? My car is an unusual (factory) purplish/silver color, and since I imagine there aren't much in the way of solids in this color, I was wondering if I would get coverage? And, what about clear coat? I would assume I would want to use one because of the intensity of the Florida sun. If anyone has used this product, I would sure like to hear about it, good or bad. Thanks, Mark.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 pm
I'm pretty sure the trim is plastic you can't paint rubber at least to my knowledge. Are you trying to paint it purple ? The faded black underneath is fine for a base to paint over it looks like a rather dark purple anyways .

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:30 am
On second thought, it is plastic. And, yes, I am trying to paint it the factory color, which is a purplish/silver metallic, vs. the factory gray, which is the color that trim was for all cars, regardless of the exterior color.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:39 pm
Anybody? Still looking for someone with experience with this product. Thanks.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:13 pm
If it's base then yes you need clear coat over it; if it's a single stage (activated can) then no.

I have no personal experience with it. I have a friend who had some mixed for an olive green colored vintage VW bus - it was a decent match but it was a very simple solid color.

Make sure the shop looks at your car and checks for variants so you can get the best chance of a match.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:22 pm
I don't mind spending a few extra bucks for clear. I just assumed they only came base/clear? I just was wondering if these custom made spray cans spray better than the cans you can buy at Home Depot. I just can't imagine getting any kind of quality out of a spray can, which is why I was asking the question.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:03 pm
I've used them a few times to jamb in a car. What I did was bought the gallon of base needed for the cars. Then after my jobber was done making the color I had them put some into a spray can for me. I used the upol clear in a spray can over it. It turned out decent. You can get it to look pretty good if you take your time and spray many lighter coats. Good luck.

Squirrel11

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:40 pm
I forgot upol did clear coat in cans. I've used their primer once or twice for very small repairs and it worked great. I'll get the color custom mixed in the spray cans, and clear with the upol.

Return to Body and Paint