Small rust spot inside fender - Pictures included

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:36 pm
I have a 08 Ram 1500 and the body is in great condition outside of the one rust spot shown in the attached pictures. On the backside of the fender behind this rust spot there appears to be no rust. I'm not experienced with this stuff but to me it just seems like the paint failed for whatever reason and there is some surface rust. I figured being that this spot is inside the fender and not very bad that I should be able to do it myself and get a reasonable result.

Questions:
1. I was thinking it might be as simple as hand sanding the rust spot out. I do have an angle grinder and drill but it is a pretty tight small area.
2. After I sand the rust out I was wondering about putting on a anti rust chemical before priming? If so what kind
3. Will spray can primer work? Is so what brand and type should I use?
4. Will spray can paint work and reasonably hold up? What type and brand should I use?
5. If I decided to bring it in for professional repair how much would something like this likely cost?

Sand out rust, treat with anti rust product, prime, paint, clear coat, polish compound. Anything else?

Thanks
Attachments
truckrust2.jpg
truckrust1.jpg

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:54 pm
I'd just tape around the surface rust sand it off, use just vinegar and water solution to clean and Penetrate any remainING rust. Mask it for paint and just use black self etching primer and call it good, its cheap and effective until you can get someone professional to do a proper spot repair.

Oh and I like SEM self etching just buy the spray can. Like 15 bucks

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:53 pm
You don't think the job can be done well enough without a professional on something like this?

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:47 pm
Because I do this for a living and have done numerous Chevy, Ford and Dodge truck rot repairs, I can assure you the rest of that bedside around the wheelwell is going to blow out. Just one source of rot is between the pinchwelds at the spotwelds. On your Dodge there is a NVH gluing the bedside to the inner which traps moisture and rots it out. Poor design in that aspect and drainage. Anything you do is a band-aid and destined to fail. Your rockers are soon to follow, and door bottoms. Check out the tape the factory applied over access holes on your inner rockers.

Return to Body and Paint