Urekem paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 am
Looking for information on this paint. Has anyone used it? I have an overall refinish project that is getting close to paint. Looks like it may be a good economical option.
Concerns are coverage and durability.
Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:18 pm
Never heard of it. Do you have a link?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:12 pm
http://www.shop.thecoatingstore.com/

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:55 pm
I've used it a few times. It's really good for the cost. The base sprays and covers good. The mid solids clear is ok. I haven't tried the high solids. I think it's definitely worth a try if you're trying to keep your costs down. May I suggest Tamco paint. Everything I've tried of theirs is wonderful.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:34 pm
Squirrel11 thanks for the reply. How are the jobs holding up that you used Urekem on? How long have they been painted?
Does Tamco have base? I have used ********** primers on this project but they are very limited on the base colors, that's why I am looking at the Urekem. Around here **********, Urekem and Tamco are unheard of; everyone uses PPG, Dupont or Sherwin Williams.
Cost is a concern and I am painting in my home garage, PPG base was very expensive when I checked.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:54 pm
My plan is to use UreKem and Tamco HC2104 clear.

I have not sprayed either yet.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:01 am
diy68chev wrote:Squirrel11 thanks for the reply. How are the jobs holding up that you used Urekem on? How long have they been painted?
Does Tamco have base? I have used ********** primers on this project but they are very limited on the base colors, that's why I am looking at the Urekem. Around here **********, Urekem and Tamco are unheard of; everyone uses PPG, Dupont or Sherwin Williams.
Cost is a concern and I am painting in my home garage, PPG base was very expensive when I checked.

Check out Wanda or Pro Spray. The PPG jobber here in town carries Wanda and it is very good paint at a reasonable price.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:01 pm
To the top for Monday.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 pm
Which color base are you looking for? I can get a very deep "black" black from Tamco - they are insane about milling the carbon for this paint, it is like Ferrari black if you have seen this. They also have a nice solid red.

If your clear coat has good UV protection and your prep work is good, then any base is going to perform adequately. I have never seen a base fail, outside of failure of the clear or issues with the primer. Base is interesting because it's job is to provide color and hiding -- but it is the least likely layer in your paint job to have issues. The thing that separates a lousy base from a great base is the overall system, variants it has in the library and how well the color match is to OEM finishes.

So stick with a high quality primer and clear (e.g. Tamco) and find a base at your local supply shop or online, or if you are doing black I have the answer for you.

And I'm not surprised that local collision shops or jobbers have not heard of these niche brands. Doesn't mean they are not good.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:45 pm
I will be painting a 68 Chevy truck. The cab roof and door window frames will be a white - I do not have a code. The rest of the truck will most likely be Hugger Orange or Viper Red type of color.
I have used all ********** primers. I started with epoxy and it now has regular 2K on it. I am in the blocking process. I think these are good primers - who knows? Again no one around here has heard of them. I may have fallen into the internet hype.

I see you recommend the Tamco clear. Is it better than the Urekem or ********** clears? How does a person know a good clear or primer?
Or should I just buy an economy line locally from PPG like Shopline or Sherwin Williams Dimension? How about the paints Summit Racing is selling?
Next

Return to Body and Paint