painting body mouldings??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:57 am
hi, just a quick question, im going to be respraying my 91 holden calibra soon and i want to color code the body mouldings, i know how to do them off the car but i dont want to remove them, but im worried the small gap between the moulding and the panel will fill with paint and then eventually crack, the gap is around 1/2mm - 1mm,
also, they are a rough texture and i want to smooth them, i was thinking of scuffing them with some 180 and then using some filler to smooth it, then maybe some spray polyester and 2k primer, i cant see any probs with this method but want to know other opinions pls
thanks for your help in advance
cheers, krem

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:05 am
I think you run the risk of it not looking right if there's a small gap. Is it a big deal to get the moldings off? Alternatively maybe paint the moldings afterward, by very carefully masking around them.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:01 am
My only problem with smoothing and painting them. Is if they do their job and protect against door dings. Then all marks show up on them. Don't use filler unless it's a flexible type.
If it ain't BROKE fix it till it is!!

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:31 am
apparently all the clips break and they are hard to find, I have to replace the mouldings on the rear bumper so if they come off nicely I might pull the rest off, id prefer not to as when I start to pull things off cars for a "quick respray" I tend to go over the top and aim for perfection, a quick week tidy up job will turn into redoing the whole car in a different color!! lol, I just cant seem to help myself!!
its not gonna be a show car, I have kids and pets, lol, something is bound to happen to ding or dent it, so im not really concerned too much, just think they look crap color-coded but not smoothed over
will put up pics when the pc stops shutting down all the time!!
krem

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:24 am
Try pulling the case cover off and blowing the internals out real good with clean compressed air. You'd be surprised at how much dust gets into the cooling fins on the CPU cooler -- if it is clogged the CPU temp rise will trigger an emergency shut off. That might be why it's shutting down on you...

If you do this, hold any cooling fan blades still with one finger while you blow with compressed air. You can damage a cooling fan by over-RPM from the pressure of the compressed air.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:37 am
yeah ive blown out all the dust, we had a lady that I did some renovations fro have a look at it, she did a reset on it, so its not a program issure, its definitely overheating and shiutting down but the fan is working, but sometimes it does stop then starts again, im thinking a faulty power supply that just overworks itself and gets hot, im gonna pull the case apart this weekend and have a look, it is around 4yrs old but was the 2nd best on the market at the time as the mrs was doing cad work and we needed something pretty good, its a core i5 with all the trimmings, if I cant find anything wrong its going in to get repaired, sometimes it stays on for hrs, other time only a few mins!!
krem

Return to Body and Paint