paint booth set up + paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:52 pm
hi guys I'm just looking for an opinion on my set up

Basically I'm going to be using a large gazebo, I'm going to bolt/weld runners across the bottom for the car to park on which will then hold the gazebo down, I will then have a tarpaulin on the inside but underneath and then pulled up and fixed to the frame to then keep dust from coming in from underneath, I will then have two small fans inside with air ducting pushing air out of the gazebo and then two others on the outside with a good foam filter over it to make sure no more dust can get in, I will also have a few heaters inside the gazebo maybe underneath the car pointing outwards, my idea is the heat will rise and then begin to build up in the gazebo and will hopefully act as a bit of an oven as the ambient temperatures in England aren't exactly perfect for spraying :lol:

Now onto paint, I am looking at mainly max meyer, jawel, octoral and possibly upol

I will most likely be using waterborne paint so has anybody had any experience with any of these and which are the best value?

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm
I think you'll be the first guy here painting a car in a gazebo.

Sorry I can't help you with those brands; did we ever get one of your fellow Brits to offer up any advice on this paint/brand topic?

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:23 pm
Ah oh dear I'm guessing there is a reason for that!

Nope :( I even sent out the "britsignal" but none came to my aid :cry:

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:28 pm
Just did some googling and most people say doing it in a gazebo is fine as long as its sealed off

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:37 pm
your be fine in a gazebo, just make sure you have decent lighting and decent air extraction is an absolute must! make that priority, otherwise your literally making a gas chamber for yourself., , i use upol primers and clears as i can get them locally and find there primer real nice to sand and there clears have really good gloss , only downside is upol dont do an epoxy primer,, max meyers good idd use them instead if i could buy there stuff locally but postage/shipping paint here is an absolute ball ache and real expensive...

edit-- just a thought , on your extraction you might want the exhaust/outlet to be ducted downstream away from the gazebo,{wind direction will play a part } otherwise theres a good chance you might end up sucking contaminated air back into the gazebo

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:16 pm
Nice one cheers

Oh I actually forgot about lighting.
Is it ok to mix different brands for different layers, I did read an article where it said some may not react too well with others.
Yeah I will probably buy all max meyer for everything online as there isn't a huge amount of local shops unfortunately, the site that I am on offers free postage on orders over £150 and obviously everything from primer to topcoat is going to be over £150

Alright I will think about that too, I might need a few more fans to be honest as two little things probably won't be enough.

Thanks for the help :D

Fully Engaged
United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 am
mixing brands for different layers should be fine especially if layer that your putting it on is 2k ..

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:45 pm
Ok fair enough.

Thanks a lot :)

Return to Body and Paint