Keyed Car Help...

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:39 pm
Hey everyone,

Just looking for a little bit of advice. My girlfriend's car got keyed last night after we left a note on a car asking a neighbor not to park in our parking spot that we pay for monthly. Apparently, they didn't like being told not to park there and ended up keying her car.

I took a picture of the key mark... I know its not the same as being able to see it in person, but based on the picture can anyone give me some recommendations on how to proceed to get this fixed. I appreciate the help!

Regards,

Nick

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:03 pm
Your neighbor is obviously a criminal if they did this. First thing I would do unless it's too late already is to not touch the car at all, and file a police report. Might be their fingerprints near the damage. This may be over $1,500 in damage. Where I live (in NY), that's a felony.

If it's only in the clear coat you have a slight chance that a great detailer could sand and buff it out. Very slight chance.

If it's through the clear coat and into the paint, it's a repaint - I'm not going to lay out all the steps but it's a fairly involved repair - best to get a quote from a good collision shop.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:18 pm
Well that's unfortunate. I was hoping it was more than likely an easy fix.

I really appreciate the advice. I'll definitely file a report and take it to a collision shop so they can check it out.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:51 am
its just a long shot but were there any surveillance cameras in the area? I hate people that do this sort of thing. I would take it to a professional auto detail person and see what they could do.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint