Tips for shooting Flat black

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:52 am
I would like to spray some flat black stripes on the Torino that I will be painting this month.

I've bought the top global hot rod flatz black before. To be honest it didn't come out well for me. My issue was that you could see where I had the gun while spraying (left stripes).

I'm sure looking back now I may have been too close, and I didn't have the right tip exactly. I think it called for a 1.4 and all I had was a 1.5? Something like that...

Anyways, I'd like to do it for my next project and I was wondering if anyone can give me some nice tips for shooting flat black?

Is the single stage hot rod flatz better? Or glossy black with the flat additive? I do want a satin finish, not 100% flat.

I've read that you only get 1 shot at shooting flat black because you can't color sand and buff it?

Hope to hear back soon

Thanks

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:38 am
Practice your technique on scrap material, and if you don't have a good gun forget it. The DeVilbiss Tekna would be a good choice for this, it has an extremely wide spray pattern. Your overlap needs to be consistent, and doing a final drop coat (if you reduce the paint) may also help even it out. The 1.4 versus 1.5 tip should not cause an issue for you.

You are correct, these matte finishes - whatever your final coat looks like is what you get. You cannot sand or buff them.

On your car was the factory stripe treatment painted on at the factory originally, or was it a decal? I'm always a fan of keeping things original, and decals for things like this are not a bad option.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 pm
I believe out of the factory it was a decal. I prefer paint because I'm going to be spraying down the middle vs just the center of the hood.

Yea back then I had the devilbliss starting line. I have since purchased the devilbliss gti

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:52 am
I would use a flat or matt finish clear, I just did a hood and used a U-pol product matt clear. its a base coat with the matt clear worked and looked perfect. the advantage of the matt clear is that it won't gloss out do to rubbing it when washing or touching it with polish or wax's like s/s matts do
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:05 am
Oh cool sounds good I will have to check that out!

And I guess I'm just gonna try a test panel, a lot of what I feel my issue was back then was inexperience.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:10 am
be prepared it's not cheep
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:29 pm
If you stick with a quality product it will be much easier vs a cheap one.It will spray easier,will not streak and you will have a consistent gloss level.I uses single stage for the single reason of less coats and it will be out of dust sooner.There are also some great matte clears available too,just pick a good one.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:12 pm
Is there any ss flat black you recommend?

Return to Body and Paint