TAMCO

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:10 pm
Jayson m wrote:One thing you can do since you said you are using an akzo rep and utech products is to have them use the akzo color camera and it will make its own formula for what you have on your car.We have had a great success rate and 99.9% of all solid colors are a bang on match.Utech 350 single stage is a great product.I have had great success with using ford code UA for a super clean black looking formula that does not look brown.It is extremely difficult now to just pour a black from the mixing bank and expect it to look perfectly black.It seems the colors from years ago were stronger and cleaner.

Thanks Jayson...that is a really good suggestion and it`s nice to know that there are alternatives out there.
At this point I`m so 'smitten' by the 'blackness' of the hood vs the rest of the car that I`m willing to just dive in and get it done...just have to finalize which Black !

No offence, can`t have a F**D color on the car ....you know how that goes :D

redvetttes wrote:nice car ,
dam thing is straight

Thanks much appreciated !

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:19 pm
So far U-Tech has a 140 code called 'Deep Black' SS supposedly the blackest available in the 350 line.
Does Tamco even make an SS black ?? Would be nice to hear back one way or another considering the topic of the thread...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:26 pm
http://www.tamcopaint.com/21seeubl21je.html

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks Andy, has anybody here used it or compared it to other SS blacks ?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:33 am
Ok...Tamco claims the 'Blackest Black available', which is what I want and I`ve been beating the net up looking for cars/trucks painted with Tamco`s black and how it sprays/covers/holds up etc... .
There really isn`t much out there at all, even though the paint is relatively inexpensive which surprises me !

Tamco Super Jet Black kit with 5 qts sprayable is only $115.00 + shipping, but there`s not much information out there.

On the other hand **********`s 4201-1 which is their 'New Black' is about 2X the price @ $250.00 delivered, BUT, there`s a decent amount of good feedback online and pictures too.

Recommendations/thoughts would really help..What do you think I should do ??

Thanks
Steve

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:02 am
This is a picture of **********'s black black base I shot on my Harley Tank. (see more pics in the projects section.)

This is Ford 2007 Ford Ebony Black:

These are the two truest blacks I have painted but I have not sprayed Tamco's so it maybe blacker. To Tamco's credit I can honestly say I have not been disappointed by any of their products I have used to date.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:17 pm
Thanks '68...very deep looking blacks !
So odd that there`s hardly anything to look at with the Tamco black, even their own web site has very little to look at !

Got to make a decision here real soon.

Thanks Again
Steve

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:54 pm
There's a guy who does custom helmets, he's a big user of Tamco products. Here's a helmet he did with their black base:

SS will be the same.

Also I'll be the first to tell you photos of black don't mean anything. The camera is post-processing the jpg and beyond that your monitor is not to Adobe color spec standard I can guarantee it (unless you work in the publishing industry).

So best bet is to look for a car in person, get the color code off of that and go with it. I was behind a Ferrari F430 just now on my way back from my office and it was in that Ferrari Nero color I already mentioned. It's black.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:51 pm
Chris is certainly right about cameras and monitors all looking different.
Another thing is whether the pic is taken with flash or without flash.
You might want to invest in a pint of each and spray some samples. Your car is certainly worth that amount of money and time to get it right.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:50 pm
First...I appreciate the help !
I realize that pictures won`t show the real color, but pictures of a paint job straight out of the gun help some as to how well it goes down, that and comments from the painter help too.

Most times from what I have found is that the black has been cleared over, as in the helmet picture (which looks pretty darn good !!)

Getting a sample of both Tamco and ********** is a real good idea as to the 'Blackness' of the paint but that won`t help as to how well it holds up, (things can get a little brutal weather wise down here in S Fl) not that this car is a DD but that`s the kind of information that seems to be missing as to the Tamco paint...not knockin' it, just saying there`s no real track record that I could find !

Come Monday I`m ordering some paint one way or another :)
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint