Spot repair on new metallic base and clear coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:42 pm
I have painted my first automobile a couple of weeks ago and it looks great for my first attempt. I used Limco base, metallic gold, and Nason clear coat, had no problems, except for the little black bug that was caught between the base and clear coat on the hood. I can not sand him out and I want to learn how to fix the problem. I have color sanded the hood with 1000 grit. What is the best approach to fix this problem or is better just leave the bug in place and move on to buffing. The other problem is that I used all the base I had mixed to paint the car except half a pint, therefore I cannot respray the entire hood unless I have more gold metallic base mixed.
Appreciate any thoughts.
Allen

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:49 am
welcome, Allen.

This needs to be treated like a repair, meaning you have to blend the color over a fairly wide area to get it to be invisible. A hood is especially tough since that's where the eye is drawn; you notice everything.

For example if the damage is in the middle of the hood, I would be shooting base nearly to the edges of the hood. A more experienced painter may be able to do it in a smaller radius, but with metallic gold and a new batch being mixed, I would want the odds stacked in my favor. p1000 grit is fine; shoot the base then reclear the entire hood.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 pm
I've been learning how to fix this kind of blemish using an airbrush with excellent results. Total blend area doesn't have to be larger than 1" square. Practice on scrap until you have the technique down.

Return to Body and Paint