Setup is perfect. Why is this happening?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:02 am
Man that's rough looking. Something ain't right, but you knew that.

A cheap $25 Harbor Freight gun will lay paint nice and smooth if you set it up right. Factory recommended setup is just that, recommended. There are several enviromental factors that play into what settings will give you a perfect finish under today's conditions. What works today may not work as well tomorrow.

Spend some time on YouTube and watch tutorials on how to setup and use a gun. I find watching someone else invaluable. Then get something to practice on until you get it down.

If you want to cut and buff what you have so far, you are in for a lot of sanding. You might want to start with 600, or even carefully use 400 to knock the tops off, then work my way through the finer grits.

Better yet, get your gun skills down, sand flat with 320 and repaint.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:59 pm
Thanks Surf27.

Next time I will try it without the filter.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:32 pm
Hi BeoBob. Something aint right that's for sure. I had watched hours of youtube footage previously to painting the fridge. Everything was setup as recommended and the gun and compressor compatibility seems okay thats why i was so disappointed when the outcome was this. That was only one side of the fridge which i sanded back and have now resprayed with better results but still far from perfect. I had the gun pressure pretty high and was getting better atomization.

I am going to have to go out and buy another fridge now and have another go.

This is a photo of an old 1950s kelivinator i restored a while ago. Painted with Rustoleum 2 x ultra cover gloss. Wet sand and buff.

DSC05807.JPG

That brings me to another question. If i sand and polish the 2k paint do i use the buff pad or flip it over and use the polishing pad? A lot of people say give it a buff but i thought the buffing pad was more course and designed to remove small scratch marks from sanding etc

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:48 pm
That blue fridge looks good. Did you spray that rustoleum or roll it on?

You want to use both a budding pad and polishing pad.
Once you sand the fridge down. Use some good compound and a buffing pad to remove the scratches.
Then use some good polish and a polish pad once you have used the buffing pad.

After that it should shine nicely if it was sanded down completely.
You can then follow up with a finish pad and some glaze or swirl remove product to remove any swirls left from the buffer.
Fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:26 pm
cool frig, what do you do with them when there finished ? I saw a guy that had an old round top frig that he gutted the inside out and then sheeted it with aluminum. he had roll out drawers of various sizes and hangers on the door made a reel cool tool box. i'm not sure about your paint problem but you do have a problem. do you know anyone that has a spray gun you could try one that someone knows it works, your gun may be defective. you've just got to keep trying different things until you get it figured out. you should be able to get a nice finish right out of the gun. having to cut and buff is a real pain
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:21 pm
I normally sell the fridges on eBay but i have kept a few for myself.

Jay D i am thinking of trying a new gun.

This is the gun that i purchased. I actually got it half price because i have a friend that works there.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:28 pm
There is an air volume control knob at the bottom of your gun handle. If it is not fully open, your paint can come out like popcorn, and no amount of PSI will correct the issue. Leave it open.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:19 pm
The air controller at the bottom has always been wide open. I even played around with it to see if I could make the spray any better.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:58 am
From the look of the blue fridge you have obviously figured out how to use a rattle can well. A spray gun isn't that much different, just more paint coming out.

Find something of no value to paint. Play with it until you can get a finish you are happy with.

I have found gun setup to be an "on the fly" thing. It is not X number of turns from wide open X number of inches away at a speed of X" per second. That's just a starting point. Conditions change everything. Spray a test piece and make adjustments until you like what's coming out of the gun. Start working and maybe make a tweak if needed.

This weekend it was 42 and raining. I couldn't get the Prolite to spray worth a darn. Clear sprayed out fairly orange peely. I wasn't into trying another tip, so I said screw it. This is the first session of clear and it was going to be sanded flat anyway. Combination of conditions and chemistry helped the clear flow out fabulously, smooth as glass 10 minutes later. Almost hate to sand it down now.

Experience painters have this self calculating formula wired into their brain which takes in all this information about temp, humidity, paint vicosity, chemistry, etc... They pick up the right gun with the right tip for the job... tweak, tweak, spray, and out comes a beautiful finish.

I'm sooo far from that, just guessing as I go... sometimes with good results, sometimes not so much.

Point is... conditions will change gun setup.

Settled In

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Thanks Beobob. I'm actually picking up another fridge tonight. Going to spray it in 2K so i will have a good play around with the gun setup and see if i can get it right. When i sprayed the pink fridge i managed to get a good fine mist but the flow rate was so slow it would have taken hours to lay down one coat.
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint