Sealant or clear to stop a paint crack over bondo?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am
I know, I know... the only way to fix this is to grind out the bondo and re-apply and repaint...

The rear of my car was in a bad accident and the whole rear quarter had the metal re-shaped by a very patient person, and then it has a light skin of bondo and then paint.
Then... a year or two later, I think I had something in my trunk that hit the sidewall on a turn and made a small crack in the paint. It is a 1972 BMW.
I can't afford to have the whole rear section re-worked and repainted.
I'm looking for a band aid for the moment... that will prevent the damage from getting worse.

I had something similar happen just after I got the car back and we sealed the crack by painting some clear coat to seal the crack.

Is there a sealant or something I can get off the shelf that will keep the crack from spreading, and moisture from getting inside?

Thanks in advance...
Attachments
IMG_0044lr.jpg
IMG_0046lr.jpg

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:12 pm
welcome to the site.

yes, will refrain from the usual speech ;-)

Since it's just a stop-gap and you plan on stripping the car and fixing it correctly later...super glue would do it, for a period of time.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:23 am
And, if you are going to use a cyano based super glue, at least buy some "fresh" stuff. Buy it from a local hobby shop where the inventory turns over faster. Look for name brands of Zap, Bob Smith Industries, K and R E Z Bond, etc. Zap in particular has a newer polybonding glue that is flexible and would last better in your application. It's in the middle of this factory page... http://www.zapglue.com/#!specialty/c10sn
It is indeed a "hack" way of taking care of it temporarily but again no speeches.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:32 pm
I never would have considered superglue or the ZAP stuff. Thanks.
Before I posted here, I was thinking of a clear epoxy, silicone, trying to get clear coat from a local body shop, or even a clear sticker of some sort.

I'll look into the Zap.

I know this is a "Band Aid" and I am fully aware of the process of fixing it properly but I just don't have the funds or ability at the moment... and I want this to last for a while as-is and not get worse.

I appreciate your responses.

-j

Return to Body and Paint